Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorbwebster
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    • (edited Nov 5th 2009)

I thought it might be good if somebody explained the relationship between decategorification and extended TQFT. My understanding from talking to physicists is that you should multiply your space by $S^1$; is this right in a mathematical sense? I've added a query box asking roughly the same thing.

Also, I attempted to add a sidebar, mostly just to try it out, and somehow it's not rendering right. Anyone want to explain what I did wrong?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 5th 2009)
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> Anyone want to explain what I did wrong? </blockquote> <p>I can't really explain it, all I can say is that the problem went away after I added closing sharp-signs not just before but also after the headlines. Not sure why that makes a difference here but not elsewhere. Probably the parser gets mixed up somhow by the inclusion process.</p> <p>Then I slightly expanded and slightly restructures the toc. Just a suggestion.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I replied at decategorification. But probably one can say something better. As I said, I should really go to bed now :-)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

replied to David Roberts at horizontal categorification

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorEric

I knew you couldn't resist! Get some sleep :)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017

I’m removing this query:

+–{: .query} Ben Webster: Perhaps something could be said about an extended TQFT FF? My understanding was that the decategorification of F(X)F(X) was given by F(X×S 1)F(X\times S^1); is this right?

Urs Schreiber: that process certainly makes an nn-dimensional QFT becomes an (n1)(n-1)-dimensional one. It is pretty much exactly the mechanism of fiber integration.

So this certainly does have a flavor of decategorification. But the latter also has a precise sense in terms of taking equivalence classes in a category. So at face value fiber integration is something different. But perhaps there is some change of perspective that allows to regard it as decategorification in the systematic sense.

=–

1. add famous shepherd analogy by John Baez

Anonymous

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2023

This old entry is so far from a satisfactory state that I hesitate to bump it up (somebody should take care of it!) but just to say that I did touch it: merged the whimsical section division into “Example” (sic) followed by “Further examples” into a single “Examples”.

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2023

Isn’t decategorification of an nn-truncated object just (n1)(n-1)-truncation?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Broadly that’s the right idea, but:

1. the term “truncation” is typically used for higher groupoids (only)

2. (de)categorification is meant to apply not so much to objects but to their theories.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • (edited Apr 15th 2023)

Decategorification can also mean looping: the decategorification of a symmetric monoidal (∞,n)-category is the endomorphism symmetric monoidal (∞,n-1)-category of its monoidal unit.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • (edited Apr 15th 2023)

Isn’t truncation the dual concept in this context? I.e. the truncation of an object is the universal way to map into truncated objects. So if we take sets to be the truncated objects of Cat, the truncation would be the set of connected components of the category, not the set of isomorphism classes.

At least, that’s what I would expect you to mean if you told me out of the blue you were going to truncate a category to make it a set.

Edit: I guess it’s not the dual either, since that would be the set-of-objects functor. I guess the issue here is that the example here is a mix of both directions: you’re colocalizing from Cat to Gpd and localizing from Gpd to Set, and the second half is a truncation.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2023

In the infinity category case it would just be colocalization, turning an (,n)(\infty, n)-category to an (,n1)(\infty, n - 1)-category.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2023
    • (edited Apr 17th 2023)

I have expanded/rewritten the Idea-section (here) and the Definition-section (here).

diff, v22, current