Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011

The theorem that model category structure plus extra bits on a category induces similar structure on diagram categories was already in Edwards and Hastings lecture notes way back. Does anyone have an idea of the evolution of this result as it seems to be reproved often without reference to them?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    • (edited Dec 11th 2011)

Tim, can you give more details on what Edwards and Hastings actually said?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011
    • (edited Dec 12th 2011)

I mean to by adding into the prohomotopy theory in the Lab, but basically they took a category C with a closed model structure, with a condition N: (I will give this in their terms (this is in 1976 so there will be neater ways of stating it, but will copy from my copy which is in front of me.))

N1: Each cofibration is a pushout of a cofibration of cofibrant objects.

N2 Each fibration is a pullback of a fibration of fibrant objects.

N3 either all objects are cofibrant or all objects are fibrant

N4 there exist functorial cylinder objects. (then some notation we don’t need here).

(This is on page 45.)

They then take C JC^J, the category of JJ-indexed diagrams with level cofibrations and weak equivalences for the obvious classes and the fibrations to be those morphisms with RLP wrt trivial cofibs. The additional restriction is that JJ is a cofinite strongly directed set (p.57.)

This is in Springer LN 542.

I remember in Pursuing Stacks, there was discussion of this sort of result, that Heller did a lot of work on it in his MAS memoir, and so on, then it seems to disappear for a time before reappearing with no mention of Edwards and Hastings, nor of Heller, until that omission is acknowledged. I am just curious what other stages along the way are there. E &H wanted this to get their model cat. structure on ProC so as to mirror proper homotopy theory and to get a strong shape theory, so the restriction on JJ is natural for them. Did Kan’s school give another variant of this at about the same time? (They produced such a lot at that time that I find it hard to give credit where credit is due.)

The recent work in this area is by Dan Isaksen who calls the E&H structure on Pro-sSet the strict model structure, and then does a neat localisation to get a structure on that category that does what Artin and Mazur seemed to have hoped for in SLN 100, and which is related to the Morel-Voevodsky homotopy theory in a nice way.

Some of this is being put in the monograph on profinite stuff that I have been finishing off (slowly) for some time, so when it is a bit more advanced I will try to put a summary on the nLab. (I started it in 1984 so progress is slow!!!!!)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

In the case somebody does not know Edwards/Hastings Springer lecture notes volume is online: pdf.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Thanks, Zoran. I have a hardcopy but it is good to know that there is a lightweight version!!! for when I am away from home. :-)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2019
    • (edited Jan 17th 2019)

Prompted by Mike’s recent edits, I’m just wondering whether we should also mention a different sense of ’algebraic’ model structure, of which the folk model structure on groupoids would be a prototypical example. I’m not sure exactly what would one take to be the definition of this sense, but it would be something like: the underlying category is 2-algebraic; everything is both fibrant and cofibrant (although many would I think relax cofibrancy); and the equivalences are those coming from the 2-algebraicity. One point of this is to distinguish between different flavours of the homotopy hypothesis. For example, the Thomason model structure on categories, or the model structures on n-fold categories, are not algebraic in this sense, and this captures one sense in which they are not model structures which satisfy the homotopy hypothesis in a strict sense: although the underlying categories are algebraic, the model structure is not.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2019

Do you mean something like an algebraic definition of higher categories? Maybe we could just expand on that page on the sort of model structures one tends to find; there’s already a remark that usually all objects are fibrant.

1. Thanks, yes, that sounds like a good suggestion.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2019

Okay.

I don’t think I’m going to do it myself, though. (-:

2. added literature (two dissertations)

diff, v7, current

3. fixed bug with markdown

diff, v7, current

4. again

diff, v7, current

5. and again

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2023
    • (edited May 10th 2023)

I can’t tell from the edit history which problem you ran into.

But I took the liberty of reformatting the two bibitems as follows (the first one, at least, already had a stable weblink, and the second I have uploaded to our server):

• Patrick M. Schultz, Algebraic Weak Factorization Systems in Double Categories, PhD thesis, University of Orego (2014) [hdl:1794/18429, pdf]

• Gabriel Bainbridge, Some Constructions of Algebraic Model Categories, PhD thesis, Ohio State University (2021) [pdf, pdf]

diff, v8, current