Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015

I added several recent references.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015

I have cross-linked with directed homotopy theory

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2018

I corrected a Unicode problem in Jiří Rosický’s name.

Curiously, his name does not redirect to the article Jiří Rosický, even though it is hyperlinked.

Instead, clicking on the hyperlinks attempts to create a new page with the same name (!).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for the alert. I have now copy-and-pasted the name from the entry title into the entry. The rendering looks the same, but now the link works, so probably there was some unicode ambiguity at play, or the like. (?) A similar issue still happens with hyphens here and there.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Jun 18th 2018)

Re #5: I think the nLab does not normalize Unicode characters. As a result, the same letter ř, say, can be encoded in two different ways: as a single code point and as r followed by a combining character.

I suggest that we add a Unicode normalization step during the CGI processing of submitted forms.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2020

Delta-generated spaces are cartesian closed.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2020

I have added (here) statement of the proposition that Delta-generated spaces are the fixed points of the adjunction between topological spaces and diffeological spaces

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2020

I have also turned the single previous sentence about categorical properties into the statement of two Propositions with pointers to the references where the proofs are to be found.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2020

Would it add anything worthwhile to describe Delta-generated spaces as those diffeological spaces for which the unit is an isomorphism?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 6th 2020)

I have added a remark (here) that Δ\Delta-generated is the same as “Euclidean generated”:

For each nn the topological simplex Δ n\Delta^n is a retract of the ambient Euclidean space/Cartesian space n\mathbb{R}^n (as a non-empty convex subset of a Euclidean space it is in fact an absolute retract). Hence the identity function on Δ n\Delta^n factors as

id:Δ top ni n np nΔ top n. id \;\colon\; \Delta^n_{top} \overset{i_n}{\hookrightarrow} \mathbb{R}^n \overset{p_n}{\longrightarrow} \Delta^n_{top} \,.

It follows that every continuous function ff with domain the topological simplex extends as a continuous function to Euclidean space:

Δ top m f X i n n \array{ \Delta^m_{top} &\overset{f}{\longrightarrow}& X \\ \mathllap{{}^{i_n}}\big\downarrow & \nearrow _{\mathrlap{\exists}} \\ \mathbb{R}^n }

Therefore the condition that a topological space XX be Δ\Delta-generated (Def. \ref{DeltaGeneratedSpace}) is equivalent to saying that its topology is final with respect to all continuous functions nX\mathbb{R}^n \to X out of Euclidean/Cartesian spaces.

We might thus equivalently speak of Euclidean-generated spaces.

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have expanded the statement about convenience (here). Currently it reads as follows:

The category of Δ\Delta-generated spaces (Def. \ref{DeltaGeneratedSpace}) is a convenient category of topological spaces in that:

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber13.

Do we have an example that shows that Δ-generated spaces are not locally cartesian closed?

The quasitopos of diffeological spaces is locally cartesian closed, and Δ-generated spaces are reflective inside all diffeological spaces. Does this tell us anything about local cartesian closedness of Δ-generated spaces?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2020

I have added a remark (here) on the terminology “D-topological space” (as discussed in another thread here)

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2021

Redirects: Δ-generated space, numerically generated space, etc.

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2021

added this pointer, for relation to k-spaces:

• Philippe Gaucher, Section 2 of: Homotopical interpretation of globular complex by multipointed d-space, Theory and Applications of Categories, vol. 22, number 22, 588-621, 2009 (arXiv:0710.3553)

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2021

where the model category structure is mentioned (here) I have added the remark that its Quillen equivalence to TopTop factors through the model structure on kTopk Top.

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2021
    • (edited Sep 30th 2021)

I have moved the Properties-section “As a convenient category of topological spaces” from the first to the last in the list of subsections (now here), so that all the statements about diffeological homotopy type can be referred to, and then I added the remark that things become ever more convenient by further embedding into diffeological spaces, then smooth sets, then smooth \infty-groupoids, and in such a way that the canonical shape modality of the latter still sees the correct homotopy type of all topological spaces.

(This addition is copied over from part of a similar edit that I just made at convenient category of topological spaces as announced here.)

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2021

I have enhanced the discussion of the cartesian closure (here):

Made explicit the pleasing fact that we have two equivalent formulations of the internal hom, corresponding to the left and to the right side of the defining idempotent adjunction, namely

Maps DTop(X,Y)Cdfflg(Maps Top(X,Y)), Maps_{DTop}(X,Y) \;\simeq\; Cdfflg \big( Maps_{Top} ( X ,\, Y ) \big) \,,

(which follows already from Vogt 1971) but also

Maps DTop(X,Y)Dtplg(Maps Dfflg(X,Y)). Maps_{DTop}(X,Y) \;\simeq\; Dtplg \big( Maps_{Dfflg} ( X ,\, Y ) \big) \,.

Shimakawa & Haraguchi actually prove something stronger, part of which says that at least if the domain is a CW-complex, then the correct homotopy mapping space is also given by the internal hom formed in diffeological spaces (this might also want to go there, but now I have stated it here):

XCWComplexDTopSpADTopSpMaps Dfflg(X,A)CdfflgMaps Top(X,A). X \,\in\, CWComplex \hookrightarrow DTopSp \;\;\;\;\;\; \Rightarrow \;\;\;\;\;\; \underset{ A \,\in\, DTopSp }{\forall} Maps_{Dfflg} \big( X ,\, A \big) \;\; \simeq Cdfflg \, Maps_{Top} \left( X ,\, A \right) \,.

This follows by combining two separate statements they make (as I have tried to make explicit in the entry now).

diff, v29, current

1. I have added a reference to my paper “Left properness of flows” which provides some information about Δ\Delta-generated spaces

Philippe Gaucher

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2021

Thanks!

I have added (here and here) link also to the TAC page of the article.

diff, v33, current