Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012
    • (edited Jan 31st 2012)

I have tried to start a table at maximal compact subgroup listing Lie groups and their max compact subgroups. But once again the table does not want to typeset properly.

Have to run now, will try to fiddle with this later.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I thought the existence and uniqueness up to conjugation of maximal compact subgroups was a theorem about finite-dimensional Lie groups, so I put that in.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, yes.

(By “Lie group” I usually mean the finite dimensional case. Otherwise I’d say “Fréchet Lie group” or the like. )

• CommentRowNumber4.

Added a comment about Fréchet Lie group to Lie group, and also added the crucial connectedness hypothesis to the statement of existence and uniqueness of maximal compact subgroups.

Apropos of that, I also started Prüfer group, and added an example to counterexamples in algebra.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks again!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 31st 2012)

Ah, stupid me. I finally realized why the tables wouldn’t do what I want. More often than not I would type

a | b
    ------
    c | d 
    e | f 

Instead of

a | b
    --|---
    c | d 
    e | f 

It’s only the second syntax that is recognized as a table. (This was clear to you all. I am just saying it for my own sake :-/ )

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 31st 2012)

I now had some time to work on the entry.

I have added a statement of the Malcev-Iwasawa theorem, and of a recent refinement by Antonyan.

So “almost connectedness” is sufficient for the existence of a maximal compact subgroup.

Todd, I have moved your counterexample of the Prüfer group to section “Examples”, subsection “Counterexamples”. Okay?

• CommentRowNumber8.

More than okay, Urs – I really like what you’ve done! Nice work.

I have half a mind to write up something on Hilbert’s fifth problem, which we don’t have an article on.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Todd.

I have further edited (corrected and expanded) the table of Lie groups and their max compact subgroups. I would like it to be more extensive, still. But I’l have to call it quits for tonight.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2012

added here a table with the maximal compact subgroups of the real forms of the exceptional EE-series of Lie groups.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2019

It looks like there’s a slight mistake in the row with SO(p,q)SO(p, q): it needs to be {T,U)O(p)×O(q)|det(T)=det(U)}\{T, U) \in O(p) \times O(q)|\;\det(T) = \det(U)\}. The group SO(p)×SO(q)SO(p) \times SO(q) is of index 22 in this.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2019

Thanks for catching! Fixed now.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! Have added the reference now.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 31st 2019)

Is the line after that correct, the one with

MaxCompactSubgroup(Spin(q,p))=(Spin(q)×Spin(p))/ 2 MaxCompactSubgroup\big(\; Spin(q,p) \;\big) \;=\; \big( Spin(q) \times Spin(p) \big)/\mathbb{Z}_2

?

• CommentRowNumber15.

Re #14: it looks like here too, you’ve written down the maximal compact connected subgroup. So the answer might be something like S(Pin(q)×Pin(p))/ 2S(Pin(q) \times Pin(p))/\mathbb{Z}_2.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yeah, thanks. I have changed the table to speak about Pin(p,q)Pin(p,q) for the moment. Should try to sort of the Spin-case…

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2021

added this pointer:

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2021

This page really ought to be split into “compact subgroup” and “maximal compact subgroup”. Or maybe at least it ought to just be renamed to “compact subgroup”. But I don’t have the energy now. Maybe later.

1. The definition given is accurate for Lie groups, but fails in general topological groups.

Nic Brody

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2023

Why was the statement of Antonyan’s theorem changed to say “Lie group” instead of “topological group”? In his paper, Theorem 1.2 is stated for topological groups.

Also, is the new definition really correct? For example, Antonyan’s paper defines maximal compact subgroups like in the previous revision, not the current one.