Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2012

I felt we were lacking an entry titled simplicial homotopy theory that usefully collects the relevant entries that we do have. So I am starting one.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 3rd 2012)

Hi Tim,

I see that you have already seen it and edited it.

I have moved the Curtis reference into the order by publication date with the others. Okay?

Also, I have removed the phrase “A useful reference is”. (It feels strange to say that about one out of three books only, if the other two are Gabriel-Zisman and Goerss-Jardine.) Okay?

But otherwise, if we have useful comments like “this book best to be read if you want xyz” or the like, then let’s add them.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

I just did a hurried cut and paste. That is why the entry said what it said. Later we should add more stuff e.g. about simplicial groups. Eventually a link to a historical article if there is one. I have not checked.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Later we should add more stuff e.g. about simplicial groups.

Yes, lots of stuff still needs to be added. I have included a link to simplicial group now.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012
    • (edited Aug 31st 2012)

I have added a bit to the Ideas section of simplicial homotopy theory so it now reads

Simplicial homotopy theory_ is the study of homotopy theory by means of simplicial sets, but also the study of those properties of simplicial sets detectable by means of techniques adapted from topological homotopy theory.

This fits better with the content of the references at the foot of the page.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015
    • (edited Mar 26th 2015)

It looks like the freely available ps-copies of chapters of Goerss-Jardine’s “Simplicial homotopy theory” are no longer available on the web. Or are they?

(Personally, I know what to do, but I am wondering if it is still possible to point people to these files officially somehow.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • (edited Mar 26th 2015)

@Urs: The PDF of Goerss and Jardine’s SHT is available here: http://libgen.org/get.php?md5=BAF7269BBFBECDFA1BF5018F27807083.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, that’s the “I known what to do”-bit, but this is ultimately a pirate site, right, and we don’t want to be linking to it.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

There is also this link, but I don’t know how legal that is, either.

• CommentRowNumber10.

@Urs: The previous link that you have recently removed (http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~mth192/html/archive/goerss-jardine.html) is also “pirate”.

The “legal” copy is still available here: http://web.archive.org/web/19990208220238/http://www.math.uwo.ca/%7Ejardine/papers/simp-sets/.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

okay, thanks, I have put the wayback link into Simplicial homotopy theory.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2015

I added a remark that the dvi and ps versions are there - the pdf chapters are not.

• CommentRowNumber13.

Have we already entered the stage when common mathematicians can no longer read PostScript and DVI files?

I definitely remember the time when PostScript dominated and PDF was seen as less desirable…

• CommentRowNumber14.

… download and use ps2pdf or dvi2pdf! They should still be around somewhere.

• CommentRowNumber15.

…or simply use a viewer that supports PostScript and DVI, most of them still do, at least on Linux.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Bah, the real hard core way to go is to upload as ps.gz and not as a single file, no, but split into one file for each chapter and a separate one for the title page and yet another one for the table of contents, and not to indicate which is which.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2020

added pointer to

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2021

added pointer to

diff, v14, current