Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012

I moved the definition of promonoidal categories from Day convolution to promonoidal category, and expanded on it a bit.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorNoam_Zeilberger
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015
    • (edited Apr 2nd 2015)

I noticed that the definition of promonoidal category given here is op’d from the one in Day’s original paper (and the one with Panchadcharam and Street), in the sense that a Day-promonoidal structure on CC corresponds to a nlab-promonoidal structure on C opC^{op}. I imagine this reversal has to do with the convention for the direction of profunctors. Should we care? I don’t think it matters for the promonoidal structure generated by a monoidal category (since a monoidal structure on CC transports to a monoidal structure on C opC^op), but on the other hand, another example Street gives is of the promonoidal structure generated by a biclosed category, with P(A,B,C)=Hom(B,AC)=Hom(A,C/B)P(A,B,C) = Hom(B, A\setminus C) = Hom(A, C/B). That wouldn’t work with the current definition in the article, since the existence of a biclosed structure is not preserved under op’ing.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015

Good catch, Noam; that’s a little annoying. I think we should care, and I’d say we should change over to the standard Day definition, or at the very least leave a remark.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2015

What about the equivalence between promonoidal structures on CC and biclosed monoidal structures on V C opV^{C^{op}}?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorNoam_Zeilberger
    • (edited Apr 3rd 2015)

Looking at (Day 1974) as well as the (Day & LaPlaza 1978) paper cited at closed category, it seems the idea is that a (Day-)promonoidal structure on the closed category CC is used to construct a biclosed monoidal structure on V CV^C, and then CC is embedded into contravariant presheaves over a small subcategory AV CA \subset V^C. So perhaps it is just worth adding a note that a closed structure on CC induces a (nlab-)promonoidal structure on C opC^op, and that this is op’d from Day’s original convention?

1. (and that actually clarifies for me why you have to “take presheaves twice” in the construction of a biclosed monoidal category over a closed category – when one suffices for getting a biclosed monoidal category over a monoidal category – so I see the advantage of the current convention used in the nlab article.)

• CommentRowNumber7.

More generally, any multicategory structure on CC induces an nlab-promonoidal structure on C opC^{op}.

I find it very pleasing when using the convention where ProfProf is equivalent to the 2-category of presheaf categories and cocontinuous functors, which makes it utterly obvious that a promonoidal structure on CC is the same as a nice monoidal structure on V C opV^{C^{op}}.

2. So I went ahead and added a little note about the relationship to Day’s definition. (Also note that he had actually first called these “premonoidal categories”, but sometime between 1970 and 1974 he switched to “promonoidal” and reformulated the definition in terms of profunctor composition.)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015

Thanks!

3. Added the diagrams corresponding to the triangle and pentagon identities for promonoidal categories. (First time making a non-trivial contribution to the nLab; I hope everything is okay.)

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDELETED_USER_2018
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2020
    • (edited Apr 11th 2023)
    [deleted]
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have fixed the numbered lists with the diagrams. The trick is to have all content of a numbered item be indented by exactly 3 whitespace.

(Single lines of running text wrapping the edit pane width just look like they are not fully indented, but as long as they don’t contain an explicit “carriage return” they are.)

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

For a more compact way of presenting the pentagon and triangle identities for a promonoidal category, see diagrams (11.47) and (11.51), and the paragraph preceding them, in Ross Street’s Skew-closed categories.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 10th 2020)

I have added hyperlinks to a bunch of further keywords.

(Noticed that we really ought to make triangle identity a disambiguation page…)

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorDELETED_USER_2018
    • (edited Apr 11th 2023)

[deleted]

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2023

The idea section says that a promonoidal category is a categorification of a boolean algebra. Does anyone know what this is supposed to mean? This is a categorification of many things, and doesn’t seem particularly similar to boolean algebras, or any more similar to boolean algebras than just semi-lattices.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2023

Checking the page history, this statement as added by “Anonymous” in revision 3, back in 2013.

I suppose we should just delete it.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2023

Remove boolean algebra comment from idea section

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2023

Added a reference to Lax monoids, pseudo-operads, and convolution.

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2024

Clarify the characterisation of promonoidal categories in terms of multicategories.

diff, v17, current