Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

I have created stratified space in order to collect some references

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I see that links to the fundamental category with duals of a stratified space. That old Cafe discussion led to a paper by Woolf, as John mentioned here. It’s Transversal homotopy theory.

Did anything come of that?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 29th 2012)

I added excellent notes

• M. Banagl, Topological invariants of stratified spaces, Springer Monographs in Math. 2000.

As a graduate student in Wisconsin, I was among the guinea pigs who listened an excellent and clear exposition by the author of parts of the notes (directed toward the intersection cohomology) , before they were finalized.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

@David - I’m not sure, but Lurie has some material in appendix A to Higher Algebra on what he calls the exit-path \infty-category. I think this is a generalisation of the 2-category described by Treumann in arXiv:0708.0659 and the results therein. Essentially representations of the exit path \infty-category in Gpd\infty Gpd are the same as constructible \infty-sheaves, generalising the case of representations of the fundamental \infty-groupoid being the same as locally constant \infty-sheaves. This is of course a massive generalisation of the old result that representations of the fundamental groupoid in SetSet give covering spaces.

I should say that ’constructible’ just means ’locally constant on each stratum’. The 1-stack of perverse sheaves (a subcategory of the derived category of coherent sheaves) is an example of a constructible 1-stack.

There is a van Kampen theorem for the exit-path \infty-category, which I like to think of as the ultimate version of Ronnie Brown’s work on van Kampen-type results on filtered spaces (which give rise to a natural stratification).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

So the Baez-Dolan approach is different. Paths cross strata, not just exit them. Woolf had already done something along the lines of Treumann.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorChristoph Dorn
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2022

this edit adds a basic definition of stratified spaces as decompositions of spaces into strata, and then discusses how this definition links to other simple definitions (poset-stratifications, filtrations).

it also explains how to define the category of stratifications, and how this category is related to the category of posets by functors in both directions.

it adds a discussion of an “nPOV” on stratifications, explaining the analogy sets:spaces::posets:stratifications. It mentions two constructions of fundamental categories of stratifications.

some technicalities (e.g. working with convenient topological spaces for some of the definitions) have been omitted. typos and mistakes have been left to the reader to find.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2023

added pointer to Peter Haine’s stratified homotopy hypothesis

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2023

added stratified fiber bundles to the mix

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber9.

added terminology for entrance/exit paths in stratified spaces

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 7th 2023)

have touched wording and hyperlinking in the the first sections (up to and ex-cluding “Fundamental categories”)

the section labeled “Basic features – Stratification structures” looks like it is the Definition-section. I’d suggest to name that section “Definition”, especially since a section with that title is otherwise missing

replaced “Wiki entry” by “Wikipedia entry” (NB: “wiki” is a general term, e.g. the nLab is an instance of a wiki)

replaced all references to the “next remark” etc. by anchored pointers.

the numbered “Remark” which introduces the characteristic map (here) looks like a definition to me, while the unnumbered paragraph that follows it looks like a remark.

replaced bare occurrences of “space” with “topological space”. The distinction generally matters, and an entry on stratified space is one place where it does, better to be extra clear about it.

in the “Example” labeled “Poset stratification” (here) where it says “…determines a stratification…” it seems crucial to be specific about which notion of stratification is meant now. I suppose what is meant is the previous definition, so I added an anchored pointer.

unfortunately our Instiki parser is funny about handling the symbol “|”: It tends to mess up the spacing unless one presents the symbol as an “operator” such as in “\left| ... \right|” (or “\big| ... \big|” etc. if that’s what one really wants). It seems that enclosing it as “{|...|}” also fixes the issue, but I feel that “\left| ... \right|” is probably safer; in any case, that’s what i implemented now, throughout.

[edit: I see that the same problem exists for “\parallel” and that in this case only the solution “{\parallel ... \parallel}” works.]

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2023

Added remark about constructible stratified bundles

diff, v25, current

1. Fix grammar, missing word

Stéphane Desarzens

diff, v28, current

2. added an explicit examples of spheres, which generalizes to CW complexes

Daniel Teixeira

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2024

Added basic reference to Douteau’s thesis.

diff, v30, current