Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    • (edited Sep 5th 2010)

I've moved all of the redirect pages to pages of the form foo -- history and changed the redirect targets to the proper places as well. (I know that not everybody was entirely happy with that format, but they can be moved again, and more easily this time too.) Now what shall we do with these pages?

Note that these will, from time to time, be created again. Just today, John created |cocomplete category, not only not noticing the spurious character but also forgetting that he had just created cocomplete category barely one week ago. So I moved it to |cocomplete category -- history, added the one item that John wrote now that he hadn't written before to cocomplete category, and made that the redirect target for |cocomplete category. Very well … but the point is that this sort of thing will probably happen again.

I have carefully put all of these history pages in category: redirect if they have content somewhere in their history and in category: delete if they do not. But personally, I would not delete any of them; they are a very small proportion of all pages (less than 15% altogether when I checked last month), and the proportion will keep getting smaller. In fact, now that they're all identifiable by their names, I would simply get rid of those categories. Just leave each of these pages with a link to its target and nothing more; nobody now will come across them who isn't looking for them.

By the way, there are a few pages with improper names (of the form foo/history) due to a bug, but Jacques fixed the last one, so I'm sure that he'll fix this one too. Then I'll fix those pages.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    Quick comments...

It is amazing the effort you're putting into cleaning up the n-Lab. Hats off! :)

Regarding erroneous page names...

Obviously nothing we can do about that, but I'm sure enough of us are watching over to quickly correct new issues as they arise. I'm not worried.

Regarding bug fixes...

You know what they say about "assume". If I were you, I'd send a quick note to Jacques about the bug to be 100% certain he is aware of it.
    • CommentRowNumber3.

I sent him a note, no worries there!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

Eric wrote in part:

It is amazing the effort you're putting into cleaning up the n-Lab.

Thanks; you're doing quite a bit yourself, adding redirects.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

By the way, there are a few pages with improper names (of the form foo/history) due to a bug, but Jacques fixed the last one, so I'm sure that he'll fix this one too. Then I'll fix those pages.

Done.