Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2012

I started putting some content into internal hom of chain complexes. But am being interrupted now…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Are these non-negatively graded chain complexes? Because if you want \mathbb{Z}-graded, then you need to use a product (not a sum) in the construction. (Basically, I think it would be clearer anyway to use a product, even for non-negatively graded objects.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure. I have changed it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014

The definition of the internal-hom of chain complexes doesn’t respect non-negative or non-positive grading. That is, even if XX and YY are non-negatively graded, or non-positively graded, then [X,Y][X,Y] may not be either. Can one define a variant internal-hom that applies in either of these situations? Or are we just forced into the unbounded case if we want internal-homs?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2014
    • (edited Jun 7th 2014)

For the positively graded case, can’t we just use [X,Y] n= p0Hom(X p,Y n+p)[X, Y]_n = \prod_{p \geq 0} Hom(X_p, Y_{n+p})?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2014
    • (edited Jun 8th 2014)

The “inclusion” UU of non-negatively-graded cochain complexes into unbounded complexes is fully faithful, strongly monoidal, and has a right adjoint, say RR, so

Hom(U(AB),C)Hom(UAUB,C)Hom(UA,[UB,C])Hom(A,R[UB,C])Hom (U (A \otimes B), C) \cong Hom (U A \otimes U B, C) \cong Hom (U A, [U B, C]) \cong Hom (A, R [U B, C])

therefore non-negatively-graded cochain complexes is also monoidal closed. The functor RR is the good truncation, which replaces negative degrees with the zero object and the object in degree 0 with the kernel of the differential. I suppose the story for chain complexes has a left adjoint instead, which is troublesome…

• CommentRowNumber7.

That’s about the conclusion I had come to as well. It’s curious that the two cases seem so different.

• CommentRowNumber8.

(@Zhen, why did you put “inclusion” in quotes?)

• CommentRowNumber9.

I asked because I was wondering whether you could have a closed monoidal homotopy theory which is not stable, but where ΣΩ=Id\Sigma\Omega=Id. For a while I thought that non-positively graded chain complexes should be an answer, but then I ran into this problem. Now I think I have a proof that this is impossible: since \otimes is cocontinuous in each variable, ΣΩ=Id\Sigma\Omega=Id gives ΣIΩII\Sigma I \otimes \Omega I \cong I, where II is the monoidal unit, so the functor Σ(ΣI)\Sigma \cong (\Sigma I \otimes -) is an equivalence and we are stable.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Oh, I suppose because I was thinking of it as being a diagram of shape \bullet \to \bullet \to \bullet \to \cdots instead of a diagram of shape \cdots \to \bullet \to \bullet \to \cdots. But UU isn’t induced by a functor between diagram shapes, unfortunately.

I guess you are assuming that Σ\Sigma and Ω\Omega are strong functors or something like that? Otherwise I do not see why ΣIΩII\Sigma I \otimes \Omega I \cong I. But then why should they be strong functors?

• CommentRowNumber11.

I would have thought that UU is induced by a functor of Set *Set_*-enriched diagrams, which is where we have to be to consider chain complexes as diagrams anyway. If we include zero objects in our diagrams (i.e. we Set *Set_*-Cauchy-complete them), then can’t we just send all the positive objects to 00?

Σ\Sigma is a colimit construction, so it’s preserved by \otimes, so we get

ΣIΩIΣ(IΩI)ΣΩII\Sigma I \otimes \Omega I \cong \Sigma(I\otimes \Omega I) \cong \Sigma\Omega I \cong I

the last step by the assumption that ΣΩ=Id\Sigma\Omega=Id.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014

Yes, we would have to do that. But if UU is induced by a functor between diagram shapes, then it really should have both adjoints. I think the left adjoint is the functor that sends an unbounded cochain complex A A^{\bullet} to coker(A 1A 0)A 1A 2coker (A^{-1} \to A^0) \to A^1 \to A^2 \to \cdots. I guess that resolves the duality question.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014

Yes, that makes sense.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2023
    • (edited Jul 5th 2023)

edit: This is wrong, see below or ignore.

I think it should be noted, that this does not make 𝒞𝒽\mathcal{Ch} into a closed category, but rather a category of chain complexes with morphisms all graded maps, not just chain maps. I.e., we do not have

𝒞𝒽(AB,C)𝒞𝒽(A,[B,C]), \mathcal{Ch}(A\otimes B,C) \cong \mathcal{Ch}(A, [B,C]),

but instead

[AB,C] 0[A,[B,C]] 0. [A\otimes B, C]_0 \cong [A,[B,C]]_0.

The former failing is most easily seen when taking A=IA=I, the unit of the tensor product.

However this category should be more useful than a potential closed structure on 𝒞𝒽\mathcal{Ch} as the internal hom in this case would not include homotopies, since it only contains chain maps.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2023

Re #14: Given that Ch(X,Y) is simply the closed elements of degree 0 in [X,Y], i.e., closed elements in [X,Y]_0, the isomorphism [A⊗B,C]≅[A,[B,C]] implies both displayed formulas in #14.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2023
    • (edited Jul 5th 2023)

Take A=IA = I the unit of the tensor product of chain complexes, then

𝒞𝒽(IB,C)𝒞𝒽(B,C)[B,C] 0𝒞𝒽(I,[B,C]) \mathcal{Ch}(I\otimes B,C)\cong\mathcal{Ch}(B,C) \neq [B,C]_0 \cong \mathcal{Ch}(I,[B,C])

Though the third isomorphism is wrong, as Urs wrote below. I noticed this shortly after posting myself and edited it away, but put back what I originally wrote so the discussion remains readable.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 5th 2023)

No, the chain maps out of II are the closed elements of degree=0 in the codomain.

[edit: This was in reply to an earlier version of comment #16, which was subsequently edited away.]

[edit: Now it’s back with commentary.]

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

If you want to do the community and the next generation a favor, then you could add a remark/example to the entry to help the next reader who runs into this issue.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367

Adds a paragraph refrasing the characterisation if the 0-cycles in terms of the canonical forgetful functor Ch(I,)Ch(I,-).

See above discussion starting at #14 and the corresponding edit at tensor product of chain complexes.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. Looks good.

I have just made some minor adjustments (here) to hyperlinking and formatting

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367

Thank you, also for taking the time to sort out my confusion.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2023