Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012

Copied some of Mike’s blog post to indexed monoidal category, having worked on Charles Peirce if you want to know why. It needs wikifying.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Thanks! I added a link to my first paper on monoidal fibrations, and interlinked to monoidal fibration.

It seems to me that since we like to make people’s names in references into links when we have a page about them, and our pages about people are named using full names, we ought to always use full names in references rather than just first initials. Does that make any sense?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Does that make any sense?

Sounds like a good policy.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 6th 2012)

Does that make any sense?

Yes, that’s how I always do it.

(If I know the first name, that is. Sometimes I run into publications where it seems to be sheer impossible to figure out who the auther really is, web-presence-wise, or what his full first name is. Then there are people who seem to use their initials in place of their first name, like A. J. Tolland and J. F. Jardine. That’s why we have an entry AJ Tolland. It’s unknown to me what the full name is. And it seems in this case it would be unhelpful anyway, because apparently that person effectively takes “AJ” to be his first name ).

Accordingly, I also omit middle initials when creating “category: people”-entries. Maybe this feels indecent to Americans (does it?), I feel it helps to harmonize name formatting internationally.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Certainly not to this American.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Nor this one.

people who seem to use their initials in place of their first name

I thought I read somewhere that the initials of the topologist R.H. Bing don’t actually stand for anything. Ah, here it is.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorJoe Moeller
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2019
    I added a reference to Descent for Monads by Hofstra and De Marchi. The page had said that the definition was due to Framed bicategories and monoidal fibrations by Shulman, but Descent for Monads was published two years earlier (and in the same journal!)

Hofstra and De Marchi even say people had come up with it before them, and they happened to have the idea independently.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2019

Thanks! I see that Hofstra and De Marchi actually give a couple of citations where the definition already appears (at least, so I presume; one of them includes the phrase “indexed monoidal categories” in its title), so we shouldn’t say that it “first appears” in their paper either. In fact, the earliest appearance of indexed monoidal categories in print that I’m aware of is a monograph in French by Gouzou and Grunig from 1976 (!) called Fibrations relatives. (I don’t know who wrote that it was due to my framed bicategories paper; in fact the phrase “indexed monoidal category” doesn’t appear explicitly in that paper at all!)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2019

Added several more references.

diff, v16, current

1. added link to indexed monoidal (infinity,1)-category in related concepts

Anonymouse

diff, v21, current