Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012

concerning the discussion here: notice that an entry rig category had once been created, already.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013

In a ring, the absorption/annihilation law 0x=00\cdot x = 0 follows from distributivity and additive inverses, since 0x+0x=(0+0)x=0x0\cdot x + 0\cdot x = (0+0)\cdot x = 0\cdot x and we can cancel one copy to obtain 0x=00\cdot x = 0. In a rig, however, we have to assert absorption separately. So shouldn’t a rig category also include isomorphisms x0x0xx\otimes 0 \cong x \cong 0\otimes x as part of its structure?

• CommentRowNumber3.

(And indeed, Laplaza includes them.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

It’s worth noting though that in the case where \oplus is the categorical coproduct, that 0x00 \otimes x \cong 0 comes for free.

• CommentRowNumber5.

Are you saying that if we assume \otimes preserves binary coproducts in each variable, then it automatically preserves initial objects in each variable as well?

• CommentRowNumber6.

Also: changed.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Yes: if we assume the natural canonical map xy+xzx(y+z)x \otimes y + x \otimes z \to x \otimes (y + z) is an isomorphism, then putting y=0y = 0, z=1z = 1 (the monoidal unit), we obtain a natural isomorphism

x0+xxx \otimes 0 + x \to x

whose restriction to the inclusion of xx is the identity xxx \to x. Let kk be its restriction to the inclusion of x0x \otimes 0. Then we obtain a bijection

hom(x,x)k,idhom(x0,x)×hom(x,x)\hom(x, x) \stackrel{\langle 'k', id \rangle}{\to} \hom(x \otimes 0, x) \times \hom(x, x)

and this forces hom(x0,x)\hom(x \otimes 0, x) to be a singleton, for any xx.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013

Did you mean to say that we get a bijection

hom(x,y)k,idhom(x0,y)×hom(x,y)\hom(x, y) \stackrel{\langle 'k', id \rangle}{\to} \hom(x \otimes 0, y) \times \hom(x, y)

for any xx and yy, hence hom(x0,y)hom(x\otimes 0,y) is a singleton? Anyway, this is nice — it should go at distributive monoidal category.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013

I thought my reasoning worked (where y=xy = x) since hom(x,x)\hom(x, x) is inhabited. No?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013
    • (edited Jul 19th 2013)

My apologies: I see what Mike is saying, and now I don’t see how to prove my claim. (What happened is that I remembered a (true) statement that the claim holds in the case of cartesian monoidal categories, and thought that would generalize right away to the more general case.)

(And, in fact, it’s trivially false. For example, the coproduct \vee on a join-semilattice preserves binary coproducts in each variable but not the initial object.)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013

I added to distributive monoidal category a modified claim (remark 1) and proof.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2013

Okay, great. I moved this remark out of the “Definition” section where I didn’t think it exactly belonged.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2020

Added

A string diagram treatment of rig categories via sheet diagrams is in

• {#CDH} Cole Comfort, Antonin Delpeuch, Jules Hedges, Sheet diagrams for bimonoidal categories, (arXiv:2010.13361)

Biinitiality of the groupoid of finite sets is shown in

diff, v11, current

1. fix reference to CDH paper (thanks for adding it!)

Antonin Delpeuch

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2021

I have added brief mentioning of the example of the distributive category of topological spaces, and of the distributive monoidal category of pointed topological spaces (with respect to wedge sum and smash product).

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Don’t we have any mentioning of homomorphisms of rig categories, under any name?

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have rephrased this paragraph

If \oplus is the category-theoretic coproduct and \otimes is the category-theoretic product (Cartesian product), then we have a distributive category, which is a special case of a rig category.

because it made it sound as if taking the coproduct and product always yields a distributive category.

Now I have made it read instead like this:

A rig category where \oplus is the category-theoretic coproduct and \otimes is the category-theoretic product (Cartesian product) is called a distributive category.

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2021

Gave the publication details for

• {#Elg21} Josep Elgueta, The groupoid of finite sets is biinitial in the 2-category of rig categories, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 225 Issue 11 (2021) 106738, doi:10.1016/j.jpaa.2021.106738, arXiv:2004.08684).

which establishes what is called “Baez’s conjecture”

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2021

Tweaked a couple of references.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2021

Added reference

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2021

Just realised that was an abridged version, so have added link to full text.

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2023

Added ref to the Johnson-Yau proof of “Baez’s conjecture”.

diff, v20, current

2. added the category of pointed sets to “Distributive monoidal categories” section

Amy Reed

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2023

fixed the “more generally”-clause

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024

Added

and redirects for ’semiring category’ and ’semiring categories’.

diff, v25, current