Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. The observation that the conditional expectation enjoys a universal property inspired me to write some ''random text''.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012

Wow, that’s a lot!

2. Is this to be taken ironically? :-) I know, that it just says that some triangle is commutative, but I had to learn these topics in some detail at that time.

However, since the conditional expectation is just some integral- this universal property may be related to (be some tiny instance of) what Urs expanded on in his recent post on integration (which I haven’t read, yet).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012
    • (edited Oct 30th 2012)

Looks interesting, I need to have a closer look.

But first some more boring editorial notes:

Right at the beginning the map YY needs to be introduced before the pushforward of the meansure along YY is mentioned.

I have touched the formatting at conditional expectation a bit: added floatic TOC, added hyperlinks (some of them are now requesting the creation of further new entries on probability theory). Also prettified the formatting of the first commuting diagram; see the source code for how to use

\mathrlap

and

\mathllap

to make arrow-labels stick out to the right and left such as not to displace the arrow that they are labelling.

3. the map Y needs to be introduced

I have added this. The links to probability theory perhaps will have rather example character since for the theorem that the conditional expectation exists I think (at the moment) it is sufficient to require the restricted measure P| 𝔖P|_\mathfrak{S} to be σ\sigma-finite and we do not need it to be a probability measure. In this case the article could be renamed to conditional integral - but this is (as theorem 2 states) just an integral kernel. So for foundations of integration it is probably more interesting if the theorem of Radon-Nikodym has some formulation in terms of a factorization property.

The statement of the theorem reminds me of the Kan extension.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    • (edited Oct 31st 2012)

Okay, thanks. I’ll try to look at it in detail, maybe this evening.

By the way, I made conditional probability redirect to this entry. But maybe this deserves some more discussion.

It would be good to have an Idea-section at the beginning of the entry: “It is traditional to define that… . We show that this can be understood as…”, something like this, to give the reader an orientation for what to expect.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorStephan A Spahn
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    • (edited Oct 31st 2012)

I made conditional probability redirect to this entry. But maybe this deserves some more discussion.

Conditional probability (of an event) is indeed defined as the conditional expectation of the indicator function (of the event).

It would be good to have an Idea-section at the beginning of the entry: “It is traditional to define that… . We show that this can be understood as…”, something like this, to give the reader an orientation for what to expect.

Of course we can write some motivation as in elementary stochastic (”Given an event A we ask for the probability of some event B provided that A is the case.”) but it would be nice to put it in a rather conceptual context.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2018

I added a brief section on conditional expectation phrased in quantum/noncommutative probability theory.