Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2012
    • (edited Sep 26th 2012)

I assume nobody still around here still cares much about Rafael Borowiecki’s entry Timeline of category theory and related mathematics?

I know this entry mostly from when I create new entries: every now and then I think I am creating an entirely un-linked-to new entry, only to see then that the “timeline” is already pointing to it.

For procrastination purposes I just looked at the entry itfelf for the first time in years. While I still have the opinion that I once voiced there, that more important than making it entirely complete is to remove some (few) weird items, I have to admit it has something to it. Would be a fun thing to look at… if there were fewer broken links in grey.

But I notice one thing: for a whole bunch of those grey links we actually do have entries. Only the “timeline” does not follow our entry-naming conventions. For instance it asks for a bunch of capitalized keywords which we do have in lower case. It also asks for “Peter Johnstone (mathematician)”, which we don’t have, while of course we do have “Peter Johnstone”, and so on.

Just in case anyone feels inspired to work on fixing some of these links…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Rafael was pretty much bound (as he stated in the discussion) to the Timeline at wikipedia which he works on, and wanted basically to have a nnLab version of it. I got disinterested in helping as he was not very much liking suggested additions which he was not familiar with. For example, the oldest well-known work on homological algebra is from Cayley in 1850-s, which contains in fact spectral sequences and Koszul resolutions (!), and he was not comfortable with addition of this, leaving beginning of homological algebra to much later work of Hilbert. I would do many things there quite different and am not comfortable with the resistance against changes which are radical in comparison to the wikipedia entry. So I got out of the project of fixing that entry.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

But Rafael neither has exclusive decision power about any nnLab entry, and be it one he created, nor does he even seem to be around or have edited that entry in a long time. You can just go and edit that entry to your heart’s content.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2012

I went through and fixed links to match our conventions and formatting, but I only got halfway through before I got tired of it.

1. Have removed old discussion and query boxes. This is a page which has not been touched in a long time, I was editing it just to get it to render, and thought I’d make the removals at the same time.

Some of the entries in the list seem of slightly questionable significance relative to some of the others, but I’ll leave others to make any edits should they wish.

diff, v173, current