Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012

It is asserted at internally projective object that a projective object in a topos is internally projective. I’m having a hard time seeing this. Can anyone help?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Isn’t the statement that the object xx is internally projective equivalent to the statement that xx is projective in the stack semantics? If so then the assertion follows quite quickly, I think.

• CommentRowNumber3.

If it’s easy to see, would you be able to write down a proof, written at a level understandable to a reader of Mac Lane-Moerdijk? I confess that I’m not following your suggestion.

Wait: I knew this topic seemed familiar! See this discussion. Why wasn’t the page internally projective object ever corrected?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Maybe I was just jumping to the assumption that the page was in fact correct :-) I’m glad you found the old discussion so quickly.

• CommentRowNumber5.

This comment also relates to the ongoing COSHEP/PAx thread.

I think I might have an example that shows that not even presheaf toposes need satisfy the internal PAx. This example would serve two purposes: to show the need for care in the examples under the topos section, and to give an example of an externally projective object which is not internally projective, which is the topic of this thread.

Let CC be the poset whose objects belong to the set {a,b}\mathbb{N} \cup \{a, b\}, and whose non-identity morphisms consist of those of \mathbb{N} under its usual linear order, and a morphism from each nn in \mathbb{N} to aa, and a morphism from each nn to bb. I’m going to try to argue that C(,a)C(-, a) is not internally projective in the presheaf topos Set C opSet^{C^{op}}. (Same for C(,b)C(-, b) of course.)

Let FF be the presheaf defined by F(a)=F(b)=F(a) = F(b) = \emptyset and F(n)={n,n1,n2,}F(n) = \{-n, -n-1, -n-2, \ldots\}, with transition map F(n+1)F(n)F(n+1) \to F(n) the obvious inclusion. Let GG be the presheaf defined by G(a)=G(b)=G(a) = G(b) = \emptyset and G(n)=1G(n) = 1 for all nn. The unique morphism FGF \to G is clearly epic. I am going to try to argue that the induced map F C(,a)G C(,a)F^{C(-, a)} \to G^{C(-, a)} is not epic, more particularly that the function F C(,a)(b)G C(,a)(b)F^{C(-, a)}(b) \to G^{C(-, a)}(b) is not surjective.

By the usual formula for the exponential (internal hom) F C(,a)F^{C(-, a)}, we have

F C(,a)(b)=Nat(C(,a)×C(,b),F)F^{C(-, a)}(b) = Nat(C(-, a) \times C(-, b), F)

Let θ:C(,a)×C(,b)F\theta: C(-, a) \times C(-, b) \to F be a natural transformation. The components at aa and bb are fairly uninteresting: they just amount to identity maps \emptyset \to \emptyset. The component at nn amounts to a map θ n=1×1F(n)\theta_n = 1 \times 1 \to F(n). The naturality condition means that we have a matching family where the element θ n+1\theta_{n+1} maps to θ n\theta_n under the inclusion F(n+1)F(n)F(n+1) \to F(n). In other words, a natural transformation θ\theta amounts to an element of the inverse limit lim F(n)\lim_{\leftarrow} F(n), in other words the intersection of the F(n)F(n), which is empty.

Thus we calculate F C(,a)(b)F^{C(-, a)}(b) to be empty. On the other hand, it’s pretty easy to calculate that G C(,a)(b)=1G^{C(-, a)}(b) =1. Obviously F C(,a)(b)G C(,a)(b)F^{C(-, a)}(b) \to G^{C(-, a)}(b) is not surjective.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2013

I have a new question about the notion of “internally projective”. For a notion to be sensibly regarded as “internal” (and in particular, for it to correspond to some statement in the stack semantics), it ought to be stable under pullback. Is it true that if EE is internally projective in 𝒯\mathcal{T}, then E×XE\times X is internally projective in 𝒯/X\mathcal{T}/X for any XX? If so, then right now I’m having a hard time seeing why.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013

The answer to my question in #6 is yes, see this answer. I’ve added this and a more explicit stack-semantics characterization to the page internally projective object.