Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAaron F
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012
    I recently added a quick definition of sheaf, found in a MathOverflow comment, to the article on sheaves. I've convinced myself that it's accurate, but I'm afraid I may have missed something, so I would appreciate some independent verification. I'm also not sure where in the article this short definition should go.

I also believe I may have found a typo in the definition that was there before. Unfortunately, I don’t understand the definition well enough to know what’s wrong (if anything).
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 4th 2012)

I have fixed that broken sentence, thanks for pointing it out.

Now I am re-arranging the Definition-section a bit. Your “quick definition” should definitely be listed among the definitions, not among the Ideas. And so I am creating more subsections now and add some glue. More later..

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 4th 2012)

Okay.I have decomposed the Definintion-section at sheaf now into three subsections

1. General definition in components

2. General definition abstractly

3. Characterizations over sites of opens

To the last one I have moved your “quick definition”. I have edited it slightly for completeness. Then I have added a proof (or most of it) that it is equivalent to the previous definitions in this special case.

There is still room to fine-tune the notation, as lim(𝒰)lim \mathcal{F}(\mathcal{U}) is a bit of an abuse of notation. On the other hand, if you are happy with it, I am, too. :-)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 4th 2012)

By the way, now that I have looked at that MO discussion: there are also situations where a sheaf is precisely a contravariant functor that sends all small colimits to limits.

I have added a brief remark on that to Characterization over canonical topologies.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAaron F
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2012
    Whoa! I go away for a week, and come back to find that someone has done all my work for me. :D The article looks great now---many thanks.

I'd never seen the definition of limits in terms of products and equalizers before, so I'm glad you mentioned it! I always thought that construction was sort of an ad-hoc trick, so it's nice to see it explained in a general way.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Let 𝒯\mathcal{T} be be a topos, regarded as a large site when equipped with the canonical topology. Then a presheaf on 𝒯\mathcal{T} is a sheaf precisely if it sends all colimits to limits.

Really? I thought this was one of the advantages that you get by moving to the \infty-world that isn’t true in the 1-world. Where can I find a proof of that?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Since every sheaf on the canonical topology of a Grothendieck topos is representable, sheaves certainly send all colimits to limits. On the other hand, if a presheaf sends all colimits to limits, then by the special adjoint functor theorem it has a left adjoint and is therefore representable.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 11th 2012)

Ahm, sorry, maybe I am being mixed up. I was thinking this follows directly from all epis being regular.

[This message overlapped with Zhen Lin’s.]

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

@Urs: I don’t immediately see how a functor preserving regular epis implies that it preserves coequalizers, unless it also preserves finite limits.

@Zhen: Sure, but what about large-set-valued presheaves? That’s what I understood the theorem to be about. If it’s only about the small-set-valued ones, then it should say so explicitly.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I don’t immediately see how a functor preserving regular epis implies that it preserves coequalizers, unless it also preserves finite limits.

That’s a good point which ought to be recorded. Does anyone know of a good example of this?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I was thinking of small-set valued presheaves. I assumed we know that every canonical sheaf is representable. Then it remains to see that every functor sending colimits to limits is a sheaf. But such a functor preserves the coequalizer that gives the regular epi and hence is a sheaf.

That was my reasoning at least. I added a paranthetical remark concerning the small sets in the codomain.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2021

Added the original paper by Leray.

diff, v71, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2022

Added:

The original definition is in

• Jean Leray, L’anneau d’homologie d’une représentation. Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l’Académie des Sciences 222 (1946), 1366–1368. Leray-0.pdf:file

Subsequent development by Leray, incorporating ideas of Henri Cartan:

• Jean Leray, L’anneau spectral et l’anneau filtré d’homologie d’un espace localement compact et d’une application continue, Journal de Mathématiques Pures et Appliquées. Neuvième Série, 29 (1950), 1–80, 81–139.

Henri Cartan’s account of the theory:

• Henri Cartan, Faisceaux sur un espace topologique. I, II, Séminaire Henri Cartan, Exposés 14, 15. numdam: I, II.

It refers to a previous exposition of the theory in Exposés 12–17 of the first year (1948/1949), which apparently are not scanned, unlike Exposés 1–11.

diff, v74, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorgregprice
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2022

Document the alternate definition where “sheaf” means “étale space”, and point to where the latter entry describes the relationship. Hopefully this reduces puzzlement for the next person who runs across that alternate definition in the wild.

diff, v75, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 24th 2022)

Since this concerns the case of sheaves over sites of open subsets of a topological space, I have moved the paragraph up and made it a sub-section of “Characterizations over special sites”

diff, v77, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 24th 2022)

[ accidental duplicate removed ]