Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012

I want to be able to point to category of V-enriched categories, so I created an entry, so far just with a brief Idea-paragraph.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

For the 2-category of enriched categories, you anticipate a separate entry, or one should add the information here ?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

We don’t have separate entries for the different flavors of Cat etc. But maybe we should rename “category of V-categories” to just VCat (which currently is a redirect).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I expanded the entry to discuss 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V} Cat as a 22-category. Although I didn't do it, a move to VCat would probably also be good.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2018
    • (edited Oct 12th 2018)

[malformed duplicate]

• CommentRowNumber6.

The entry as it stands is hard to follow, especially the section Structure of the category of V-enriched categories for various contexts, which is quite unmotivated and peters out.

As a general question, what does one require on 𝒱\mathcal{V} for 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V}Cat to be enriched over itself?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Oct 12th 2018)

Well, one needs 𝒱\mathcal{V} to be symmetric monoidal, so that 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V}Cat has a tensor product (section 1.4 of Kelly’s book), and this I think is the tensor product I would like to enrich 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V}Cat over.

EDIT: Hmm, and then in section 2.2 it seems that taking 𝒱\mathcal{V} to be complete is enough to get the internal hom for 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V}Cat, and I presume this enriches 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V}Cat over itself…

• CommentRowNumber8.

OK, so just before equation (2.29) on page 33 of Kelly’s book it is stated that the symmetric monoidal 2-category 𝒱Cat\mathcal{V}Cat is closed (with the standing assumption that 𝒱\mathcal{V} is complete and symmetric monoidal). I’m slightly wary of this being about a symmetric monoidal 2-category, but it’s probably best to think of it just as a symmetric monoidal enriched category.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Yes, it’s a symmetric monoidal 2-category in the strictest reasonable sense of a symmetric monoidal Cat\mathrm{Cat}-enriched category. This should be true whenever 𝒱\mathcal{V} is complete and symmetric monoidal closed.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2023

added a pragraph “Monoidal structure” (here)

gave the previous material (which is somewhat terse…) the headline “Involutions” (here)

diff, v10, current