Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013
    • (edited Jan 6th 2013)
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013
    @The notion of field bundle captures only some aspects of the general notion of spaces of physical fields.

It would be good to have one non-bundle example right here.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 7th 2013)

Okay, had said

The notion of field bundle captures only some aspects of the general notion of spaces of physical fields. See at field (physics) in the section The idea of field bundles and its problems for more.

I have expanded that now to

The notion of field bundle captures only some aspects of the general notion of spaces of physical fields. For instance the configurations of the B-field in general do not form sections of a fiber bundle (but of a fiber 2-bundle) and hence for instance the magnetic charge anomaly has no real description by field bundles. See at field (physics) in the section The idea of field bundles and its problems for more.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 7th 2013)

I have now considerable expanded the discussion at

The traditional notion of field bundle and its problems

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013

More discussion about the issue that the “field bundle” is in general not a 1-bundle but a bundle in higher geometry is now taking place here.

I realize that I should have amplified this point long ago. Better late than never.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014

added a pointer to Schenkel 14 which makes more explicit the issue previously discussed in BDS 13.