Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. I created effect algebra.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013

I gave it an Idea-section and added some more references.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorStephan A Spahn
    • (edited Jan 7th 2013)

Thanks. I made the link spectrum pointing to spectrum of an operator.

When I looked for texts concerning effect algebras I often found formulations like “effect of a computation” (but this seems rather unrelated) and google put papers on functional programming on the first places; so I was a bit surprised that the idea section starts with “in quantum mechanics”. But of course quantum logic is also a motivation Bart Jacob has in “new directions in categorical logic”.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 8th 2013)

Thanks. We should also have more examples. The simplest example is the addition on real numbers in [0,1][0,1].

When I looked for texts concerning effect algebras I often found formulations like “effect of a computation” (but this seems rather unrelated)

Yes, that’s unrelated. And you should add a warning to the entry that says so! These articles on “algebras with effects” are talking about things more like those at monad (in computer science).

so I was a bit surprised that the idea section starts with “in quantum mechanics”.

That’s where the notion of effect algebra originates. It’s a formalization of the behaviour of those self-adjoined operators which in quantum mechanics are called “effects”, a generalization of projectors.

(I am not a big fan of any of this terminology and notions, but in some circles it is standard.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorStephan A Spahn
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2013
    • (edited Jan 8th 2013)

We should also have more examples.

There may already be some examples at coalgebra of an endofunctor; and an entry coalgebra of the real interval. I didn’t yet check which of those are effect algebras. But I created effect algebra of predicates since my interest was mainly in this example of the internal logic of extensive categories. In fact I would like to understand in which sense extensive categories can be seen as cohesive (so the effect algebras may be rather a side-effect).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 8th 2013)

I urge you to write out how the unit interval is naturally an effect algebra under addition. You don’t have to look at any other entries for this. Just look at the definitions that you wrote out at effect algebra.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorgejza.jenca

Greetings from “some circles” ;-).

I do not think it is a good idea to denote the effect algebra operation by \vee. Besides being nonstandard, it gives a false impression that the aba\vee b is the supremum of the set {a,b}\{a,b\} with respect to the poset structure. This is not true in general. For example (in the real unit interval) 0.50.5=10.5 \vee 0.5=1 looks silly, doesn’t it?

The standard symbol for the effect algebra operation is \oplus.

2. write out how the unit interval is naturally an effect algebra under addition

Ok, I will write this, then.

I do not think it is a good idea to denote the effect algebra operation by ∨

It is denoted by ’\ovee’ in “new directions” but this symbol is not available in itex. \oplus is used only once in the reference denoting a direct sum of vector spaces. However ’\ovee’ has a complemetary symbol ’\owedge’, so \oplus would then be complementary to \ominus which is used for something different in the reference: In Lemma 6 p.25 are detailed some relations between the different operators.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 8th 2013)

Stephan,

once you write out the example of the unit interval you’ll see why \oplus is a good idea. Also write out the example that gives the concept its name, that of effect operators. (Both are simple. Should just take a minute.)

3. I see that it is a partially defined addition of real numbers and I didn’t mean to insist on \vee. Parts of what I wrote above remain untouched, however.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see that it is a partially defined addition of real numbers

Yup!

Could you also add the example of effect operators?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorJames Francese
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2019

Added acknowledgement of D-posets/D-lattices as parallel concept in the literature. Created link for separation algebras

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2019

fixed d poset numbering, and error in axiom 3

diff, v20, current

4. Added citation to orginal definition of D-posets.

mplavala

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2022

Mention Boolean algebras

diff, v24, current

5. Fix typo

Robin Adams

diff, v27, current