Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    • (edited Jan 29th 2013)

Suppose XX is an object of an (,1)(\infty,1)-topos H\mathbf{H}; then we can form the “Postnikov pretower”

τ 2Xτ 1Xτ 0X. \cdots \to \tau_{\le 2} X \to \tau_{\le 1} X \to \tau_{\le 0} X.

Lurie says that “Postnikov towers in H\mathbf{H} are convergent” if XX is always the limit of this pretower; this implies H\mathbf{H} is hypercomplete.

However, we can always consider the limit of this pretower. In cases where it is not XX, what is it? It is some hypercomplete object which receives a canonical map from XX. The obvious guess is that it is the hypercompletion of XX, but I can’t find any mention of this either way in HTT. It seems closely related to whether the implication (2)\Rightarrow(1) of 5.5.6.26 always holds. Is anything about this known?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMarc Hoyois
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013

If I’m not mistaken, convergence of Postnikov towers is something strictly stronger than XX always being the limit of this pretower, because in addition it requires the implication (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) you mention (XX being the limit is only (1)(2)(1)\Rightarrow(2)). This additional condition has something to do with truncation commuting with certain sequential limits, so I doubt it is always true. Perhaps a familiar (,1)(\infty,1)-topos which is of infinite cohomology dimension will provide an example.

I don’t think the limit of the tower is the hypercompletion of XX in general (but it is if (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) holds). Although I cannot think of an unstable example at the moment, it is similar to the fact that the derived category of an abelian category may not be left complete, even though it is always “hypercomplete” (in the sense that quasi-isomorphisms are equivalences).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013

What do you mean by “left complete”? And what is a counterexample in the case of abelian categories?

Of course truncation doesn’t preserve all limits, but it does preserve some limits, so it’s not obvious to me that I shouldn’t expect it to preserve this particular limit.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013

What do you mean by “left complete”? And what is a counterexample in the case of abelian categories?

I mean that Xlim nτ nXX\to \lim_n \tau_{\leq n}X is an equivalence, where τ n\tau_{\leq n} is the truncation for the standard t-structure. For examples see Non-left-complete derived categories by Neeman. The category of representations of the additive group over a field of positive characteristic is one such example.

Of course truncation doesn’t preserve all limits, but it does preserve some limits, so it’s not obvious to me that I shouldn’t expect it to preserve this particular limit.

Fair enough. I only know that this limit is preserved if either H\mathbf{H} is a presheaf (,1)(\infty,1)-topos or if it is locally of homotopy dimension N\leq N for some fixed NN.

But if (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) were always true, it would mean that Postnikov towers converge in any hypercomplete (,1)(\infty,1)-topos. The reason I find this very dubious is that convergence of Postnikov towers was already relevant when only hypercomplete topoi were considered (e.g. by Jardine, Toen). In fact Toen claims here (p. 23) that Postnikov tower need not converge in hypercomplete topoi, although he gives no example.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013
    • (edited Jan 31st 2013)

Apparently there’s an example of a hypercomplete (,1)(\infty,1)-topos in which Postnikov towers do not converge in Example 2.1.30 in Morel-Voevodsky. I don’t understand it yet. I understand it now! The topos they consider is the classifying (,1)(\infty,1)-topos of the pro-finite group G= /2G=\prod_{\infty} \mathbb{Z}/2, and the guilty object is LConst( i1K(/2,i))LConst(\prod_{i \geq 1} K(\mathbb{Z}/2,i)): it’s obviously connected but they show that its Postnikov completion, which is the product i1LConstK(/2,i)\prod_{i \geq 1} LConst K(\mathbb{Z}/2,i), is not connected.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013

Why is LConst( i1K(/2,i))LConst(\prod_{i \geq 1} K(\mathbb{Z}/2,i)) obviously connected?

• CommentRowNumber7.

Why is LConst( i1K(/2,i))LConst(\prod_{i \geq 1} K(\mathbb{Z}/2,i)) obviously connected?

Because LConstLConst commutes with τ 0\tau_{\leq 0}, and a product of connected spaces is connected (something that fails in that classifying topos).

• CommentRowNumber8.

Why does LConstLConst commute with τ 0\tau_{\le 0}?

• CommentRowNumber9.

Left adjoints to geometric morphisms always commute with truncation (HTT, Prop 5.5.6.28).

• CommentRowNumber10.

Okay, I think I get it; thanks! The point is that internal connectedness means that any two elements are locally equal, but if the site doesn’t have infinite intersections of covers, then “being locally equal” may not be preserved by infinite products.

• CommentRowNumber11.

This gives rise to many new questions: is the operation “take the limit of the Postnikov tower” idempotent? Is the subcategory of objects that are the limit of their Postnikov towers reflective? Is it a topos?

• CommentRowNumber12.

Okay, I think I get it; thanks! The point is that internal connectedness means that any two elements are locally equal, but if the site doesn’t have infinite intersections of covers, then “being locally equal” may not be preserved by infinite products.

That’s a nice way to summarize it! As an aside, do we know that the classifying topos of a pro-(finite) (\infty-)group(oid) is hypercomplete?

Indeed this raises many questions. Is there an example of a topos in which (1)(2)(1)\Rightarrow (2) holds but not (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow (1)? And the other way around?

This gives rise to many new questions: is the operation “take the limit of the Postnikov tower” idempotent? Is the subcategory of objects that are the limit of their Postnikov towers reflective? Is it a topos?

Partial answer: If (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) holds then Postnikov completion is left adjoint to the inclusion of the subcategory of Postnikov-complete objects. This localization preserves finite products, at least, since truncation does.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • (edited Feb 1st 2013)

Here’s how we might get topoi satisfying (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow (1) but which are not hypercomplete (and hence cannot satisfy (1)(2)(1)\Rightarrow(2)). Since (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) only involves limits of truncated objects, any topos whose hypercompletion satisfies (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) itself satisfies it. So you can start with a topos of sheaves Sh (,1)(C)Sh_{(\infty,1)}(C) in which we know that Postnikov towers converge (e.g. a cohesive topos), and then realize CC as a dense but not “(,1)(\infty,1)-dense” subsite of another site DD. Then Sh^ (,1)(D)Sh (,1)(C)\hat{Sh}_{(\infty,1)}(D)\simeq Sh_{(\infty,1)}(C) yet Sh (,1)(D)Sh (,1)(C)Sh_{(\infty,1)}(D)\neq Sh_{(\infty,1)}(C). I don’t know how to find such a DD though. Is it known that Sh (,1)(SmoothMfd)Sh_{(\infty,1)}(SmoothMfd) is not hypercomplete or is this an open question?

• CommentRowNumber14.

Lurie just pointed out to me an argument in HTT 7.2.2.31 that the classifying topos of the pp-adic integers is not hypercomplete.

1. Assume that the limit of the Postnikov pretower is not well behaved in general, not idempotent and so on. Can we do the following instead?

Start from X=X 0X = X_0. For every ordinal α\alpha, define X α+1X_{\alpha+1} to be the limit of the Postnikov pretower of X αX_\alpha, and do something sensible for limit ordinals.

Then maybe that this process stabilizes after sufficiently many steps and that the limit is the hypercompletion of XX. Does that make sense?

In HoTT we can probably just define it as the higher inductive type hc(X) containing X and a proof that the canonical map between hc(X) and the limit of its Postnikov pretower is an equivalence. That reminds me of real numbers and Cauchy sequences :-)

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013

Guillame, I had the same thought to iterate this construction. I don’t think you’ll get the hypercompletion that way, though: the limit of the Postnikov tower is always hypercomplete (being a limit of hypercomplete objects), so it factors through the hypercompletion rather than the other way around. If the transfinite sequence does converge, then it’ll be reflecting into some subcategory smaller than the hypercomplete objects.

As for whether it converges, I would initially expect it to depend on whether the “Postnikov limit” construction is a well-pointed endofunctor rather than merely a pointed one. In other words, if PXP X is the Postnikov limit of XX, then are the two maps PXPPXP X \to P P X equal?

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013

Partial answer: If (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) holds then Postnikov completion is left adjoint to the inclusion of the subcategory of Postnikov-complete objects. This localization preserves finite products, at least, since truncation does.

Ah but as I pointed out above, if (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) holds then the objects that are limits of their Postnikov tower are precisely the hypercomplete ones. Here’s something more to the point. Let HH\mathbf{H'}\subset \mathbf{H} be the subcategory of objects that are limits of their Postnikov tower.

Claim: H\mathbf{H}' is a left exact localization of H\mathbf{H} iff H=H \mathbf{H}'=\mathbf{H}^\wedge.

Suppose L:HHL: \mathbf{H}\to\mathbf{H}' is a left exact localization, and let XHX\in\mathbf{H}. Since τ nXH\tau_{\leq n}X\in\mathbf{H}' we have Lτ nX=τ nXL \tau_{\leq n}X= \tau_{\leq n}X, and since LL commutes with truncation, τ nLX=τ nX\tau_{\leq n}LX= \tau_{\leq n}X. Thus, XLXX\to LX is \infty-connected, so LX=X LX=X^\wedge.

• CommentRowNumber18.

@Marc: Ah, nice. Does H=H \mathbf{H}'=\mathbf{H}^\wedge also imply (2)\Rightarrow(1)?

• CommentRowNumber19.

I don’t see it. That would mean in particular that (1)(2)(1)\Rightarrow(2) implies (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow (1), but I have no idea how to find a counterexample to that.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013

As for whether it converges, I would initially expect it to depend on whether the “Postnikov limit” construction is a well-pointed endofunctor rather than merely a pointed one. In other words, if PXP X is the Postnikov limit of XX, then are the two maps PXPPXP X \to P P X equal?

I think that in the (,1)(\infty,1)-topos from post #5 the functor PX=lim nτ nXPX=\lim_n\tau_{\leq n}X is not well-pointed, and in particular is not idempotent. The two maps PXPPXPX \to PPX are induced by the maps

PXτ nPXPX \to \tau_{\leq n} PX

and

PXτ nXητ nPX,PX \to \tau_{\leq n}X \stackrel\eta\to \tau_{\leq n} PX,

so if they were homotopic then τ nPX\tau_{\leq n}PX would be a retract of τ nX\tau_{\leq n}X for all nn. In the Morel-Voevodsky example we have an object XX such that τ 0X=*\tau_{\leq 0}X=\ast but τ 0PX\tau_{\leq 0}PX is larger, so PP cannot be well-pointed.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2014

I’m posting some new findings for the record. I recently read the proof of Theorem 2.1.37 in A1-homotopy theory of schemes. As far as I can see the proof is correct and gives us the following fact:

Fact. If H\mathbf{H} is locally of cohomological dimension d\leq d, then, for every XHX\in\mathbf{H}, lim nτ nX\lim_n\tau_{\leq n}X is the hypercompletion of XX.

On the other hand, the proof of Theorem 7.2.2.29 in Higher Topos Theory shows that, if H\mathbf{H} has cohomological dimension d\leq d and XHX\in\mathbf{H} is dd-connective and Postnikov-complete, then XX has a global section. Together with the theorem of Morel–Voevodsky we get:

Fact. An (∞,1)-topos H\mathbf{H} is locally of cohomological dimension d\leq d iff its hypercompletion H \mathbf{H}^\wedge is locally of homotopy dimension d\leq d.

For example, the (∞,1)-topos from Warning 7.2.2.31 in HTT is of infinite homotopy dimension but its hypercompletion has homotopy dimension 2. So that’s an example of an (∞,1)-topos satisfying (2)(1)(2)\Rightarrow(1) but not (1)(2)(1)\Rightarrow (2).