Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

I want to make sure that people know that there is now a shortcut to restart Instiki, particularly convenient when (as right now) it's difficult to type more than 2 or 3 characters into the server at once.

~/x

That's it!

(Earlier I told some people to type ./x, but that only works if you're in the home directory when you log in, which is not necessarily the case!)

Twice now, I've done this where I was only able to get the ~ in and the terminal froze. So I killed that terminal, logged in again, and continued with /x. It worked! Before I created the script, it could take forever (sometimes effectively literally) to type /etc/init.d/lighttpd restart and /etc/init.d/instiki restart.

(Note that if the terminal freezes as you're entering a command, the first character after the last echoed character, that is the first character that did not get echoed back to you, did go in, so you should not type it again when you log in a second time.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009

Instiki was getting slow again, so I restarted it. (And I still can't get past the tilde the first time I log in, so I had to log in again to finish typing the command!)

My theory is that Instiki slows down over time as some sort of cruft develops; (I have no hypothesis as to what this cruft may be or how it might arise through some poor behaviour in Instiki itself or in the server that we have).

So when Recently Revised is called, it doesn't merely slow things down during the duration of the call; it also adds a lot of cruft and leaves things running more slowly afterwards. But normal usage will also add cruft over time. To clear the cruft, therefore, we still need to restart Instiki every once in a while.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I should say that I tried to "Export as Matrkup" a few minutes ago. It was already slow before. Then it got slower. (And the export didn't produce a file either. Didn't since sereveral weeks now).

I agree with your cruft theory, that's my impression, too.

I think we should install a script that restarts instiki automatically every hour or so. Can you do that?

• CommentRowNumber4.

No, I can't do that, at least not yet; I could probably figure it out, but I'd have to read about cron jobs or something. (I also think that every hour is much more often than necessary; but then I'm not sure how much restarting interferes with usage.) On the other hand, if Andrew writes such a script, then I can probably figure out what it's doing and tweak it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Instiki already restarts itself twice a day (and logs how much memory it's been using just before the restart). It does this at 6am and 6pm, and it seems to be on UTC (so figure out your own timeshifts from that).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I see. I don't know, maybe four times a day would make sense?

• CommentRowNumber7.

Ah, then that explains why it speeds up sometimes when I'm sure that I'm the only one using it (probably the AM restart) and I haven't restarted it!