Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013
    • (edited May 15th 2013)

I have a link emptypage (nlab) from my links (zoranskoda). Instead of linking to show/emptypage it links to new/emptypage and it shows on my links page that the page is nonexistent. Strange enough, we had a recent discussion that new for an existing page should also redirect to show and it does not do it that way for the emptypage. I am a heavy user of the emptypage.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Cache bug. emptypage does not actually exist any more. It presumably used to exist and got into the cache then was (presumably) renamed but the cache copy was not removed. Your link goes straight to the new version since it doesn’t exist (and instiki knows this).

The recent discussion was that for an existing page then new should redirect to show.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

@Zoran: Do a search on empty. There are 25 empty pages labelled empty 1 up to empty 25, but not one called ’emptypage’.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Update: make that empty 26. I just made one from hypersurface!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2013
    • (edited May 16th 2013)

Why emptypage does not exist ??? I have reported extensively on my need to use it in nForum http://nforum.mathforge.org/discussion/2749/emptypage I have not complained when it was labeled into category “empty”, hoping that this label will not produce annihilation; this labelling was carefully done by Toby who does not allow even to delete past spam! (it produced extra label which is not useful in this case, but it is his classification, what I respect) The page was not a spam. It was written and signed by me. Why it is deleted without my consent ? I use it daily about 10-20 times what is probably in range of a thousand or more in the last year.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 16th 2013)

Nothing, I am going to recreate emptypage now and kindly ask others not to add to its content, history, list of labels, toc and so on (nor to direct to it within the main lab if possible, so that it stays officially orphaned).

Edit: done.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited May 16th 2013)

I can see (thanks to various logs) what happened to the original emptypage: it got moved to one of the empty N pages. Presumably someone was doing some housekeeping and had forgotten the original reason for the existence of emptypage (the rename came over a year after the original discussion so I think that no-one can be accused of doing this deliberately). Perhaps they were going through the category: empty pages and rationalising them, I don’t know.

How about adding just one line of content explaining that it has a definite purpose in existing. Perhaps:

This is a meta-page used by some of the nLab regulars to test if the nLab is responding quickly. Please do not edit or rename.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 16th 2013)

Thank you, this is indeed a reasonable idea; I’d still try to have it without content and any links, hopefully it will not disappear again that soon :) Testing is indeed one of the main purposes, another is being often on slow wireless connection to have a start page with search engine without delays, and third to have no distraction on a start page (from which I usually change page by direct typing of a suffix).

• CommentRowNumber9.

I don’t think that the text has to cover everything this page might be used for, just that it show that it is there for a reason. The point is to put something so that someone looking at that page will remember that it is a special page.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

OK

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2013

One day I woke up and the empty set was gone. That was a pain since I use the empty set to test if set theory is down (once again) and to have a set to start my searches for other sets with. But then it turned out somebody had just renamed it; to the empty type.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

have a set to start my searches for other sets with

since every material set is built transfinitely out of the empty set, you wouldn’t find any material sets at all. So you just use structural sets instead.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I guess the way you test whether set theory is down is by whether the empty set has any elements?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 17th 2013)

Yeah, I I was wondering if I should have written “inconsistent” for “down”. Maybe it sounded too heavy for such a lighthearted comment.

Incdentally, on the nnLab the empty page is not the initial page. (Which instead is the ’All Pages’-page and turned off!) Interesting would be a terminal page…

• CommentRowNumber15.

Well, every page has a link (in the header) to the HomePage

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

That only makes it weakly terminal.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hey,

I just want to say that I wasn’t meaning to make fun of Zoran’s above request at all. What happened was just that after a long day of work I looked at the above discussion of the empty page and in a weak moment that joke about the empty set crossed my mind, and then my fingers.

Please take it in good spirit. I’ll promise to try to be more sober, not to step on anyone’s feet accidentally.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2013

I thought it was pretty clear you were light-heartedly joking around, Urs, and I’d think no one would mind. A little of that is a good thing, IMO.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if I was the one who moved it (although I don't remember doing that), since I'd completely forgotten about it. Since it's not like the other category: empty pages, it shouldn't be in that category anyway; category: meta would make more sense.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2013

Your joke was a bright spot in my day, and I didn’t assume it to be making fun of anything.