Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2009

fixed (by removing) the nonsensical clause that Mike pointed out in a query box (i had been thinking of something else)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorJon Beardsley
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2017

Hey guys, regarding this page, you point out that the category of operators construction is left 2-adjoint to the endomorphism operad (underlying multicategory) construction. This seems to be shown in theorem 7.2 of Hermida’s paper “Representable Multicategories.” However, the category of operators is clearly NOT the free monoidal category on a multicategory (right?) It is the free semi-cartesian monoidal category on the free semi-cartesian multicategory of that multicategory. But shouldn’t the “underlying multicategory” functor from monoidal categories to multicategories be adjoint to the free monoidal category functor? Or am I not understanding something?

Note, this is not pointing out an error in the page, but pointing out an error in my thinking. Just wondering if anyone can help.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

By composing adjunctions, the free semi-cartesian monoidal category on the free semi-cartesian multicategory of a multicategory is left adjoint to the underlying multicategory of the underlying semi-cartesian multicategory of a semi-cartesian monoidal category. The latter is equivalently the underlying multicategory of (the underlying monoidal category of) a semi-cartesian monoidal category. Apparently the underlying multicategory of a monoidal category is sometimes (mis)called the “endomorphism operad”, so in that sense the category of operators is left adjoint to it, but only when the “underlying multicategory” functor has as its domain the category of semi-cartesian monoidal categories. This ought to be clarified on our pages. I have not checked what Hermida wrote, but I strongly suspect that he was talking not about the category of operators but about the prop generated by a multicategory, which doesn’t incorporate semicartesianness.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorJon Beardsley

Ok, great, this makes a lot of sense. I was also thinking that maybe Hermida was talking about the PROP rather than the category of operators, in which case an edit should be made on category of operators. Hermida’s presentation of monoidal categories (as category objects in monoids) was a little opaque to me, so I wasn’t totally sure whether it was the PROP of the COO.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I made an edit.