Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013

I’m not entirely happy with the introduction (“Statement”) to the page axiom of choice. On the one hand, it implies that the axiom of choice is something to be considered relative to a given category CC (which is reasonable), but it then proceeds to give the external formulation of AC for such a CC, which I think is usually not the best meaning of “AC relative to CC”. I would prefer to give the Statement as “every surjection in the category of sets splits” and then discuss later that analogous statements for other categories (including both internal and external ones) can also be called “axioms of choice” — but with emphasis on the internal ones, since they are what correspond to the original axiom of choice (for sets) in the internal logic.

(I would also prefer to change “epimorphism” for “surjection” or “regular/effective epimorphism”, especially when generalizing away from sets.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013

I agree.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2013

Since no one objected, I went ahead and made this change.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2018

I added the characterization of IAC toposes as Boolean étendues.

diff, v66, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2020

Added the fact (thanks to Alizter for finding it) that AC is equivalent to the statement “if two free groups have equal cardinality, then so do their generating sets”.

diff, v70, current

• CommentRowNumber6.

Oops, of course the sets have to be infinite.

diff, v70, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Seems like a somewhat roundabout way of putting it: can’t we just say that for infinite XX, that XX and F(X)F(X) have the same cardinality? Am I missing something?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2020

Okay, I guess never mind my question. The direction that the indicated statement plus ZF implies AC doesn’t look easy.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorjesuslop
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2021

Fixed image broken link in References-General, image uploaded.

diff, v73, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2022
    • (edited Oct 20th 2022)

Some of the equivalent statements to AC listed like

• That every essentially surjective functor is split essentially surjective.
    • That every fully faithful and essentially surjective functor between strict categories is a strong equivalence of categories.

are suspicious as they talk about classes rather than sets. Isn’t it that AC for classes is a stronger statement ? Should one just put modifier small ?

1. Added equivalent statement

That any cartesian product of any family of inhabited sets is inhabited.

And it’s type theoretic analogue in the section on type theory

That any dependent product of any family of pointed sets is pointed.

Anonymous

diff, v76, current

2. Surjections are families of inhabited sets, not families of sets.

Anonymous

diff, v76, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2022
    • (edited Oct 20th 2022)

Re #10:

These two clauses (here and here) were added in rev 75 by Anonymous and in rev 48 by Mike, respectively.

It seems clear that they are meant to be applied to small categories. For the clause mentioning strict categories this is almost explicit, since the entry strict category speaks as if smallness is the default assumption.

I have now added the smallness qualifier to both items, and also the strictness qualifier to the former.

diff, v77, current

3. adding a paragraph explaining that the traditional axiom of choice using bracket types implies function extensionality in type theory.

Anonymous

diff, v78, current

4. adding reference

Anonymous

diff, v78, current

5. updated reference

Anonymous

diff, v80, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2023

In May, an Anonymous editor added the following as an equivalent of AC:

That every subset ABA \subseteq B in a universe 𝒰\mathcal{U} comes with a choice of injection i:ABi:A \hookrightarrow B. Constructive mathematicians usually use subsets equipped with the structure of an injection, as those are usually more useful than general subsets with the mere property of being a subset.

I don’t know what this means. How can a subset fail to come with a choice of injection defined by i(a)=ai(a)=a?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2023

Perhaps by “subset ABA\subseteq B” it is meant a pair AA, BB such that |A||B||A|\le |B|, or I guess that there merely exists an injection, and this is quantified over all pairs satisfying this cardinality condition. This feels like a Choice principle, but perhaps too strong?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2023

I suppose that’s possible. That should follow from (global) choice, since you are choosing a set of specific injections from a family of nonempty sets of injections, and it certainly implies choice taking A=1A=1.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2023

Yes, it felt like Global Choice to me, which is stronger than the passage claims (plain AC). So, regardless, it will need editing a bit more.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2023

Perhaps the relativization to “a universe” was intended to weaken it from global choice to ordinary choice?