Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorelif
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013
    Let (C,R,∂) be xmod and (C₁,R₁,∂) be an ideal of (C,R,∂).Is R⋉C/(R₁⋉C₁)ⁿ and R/R₁ⁿ⋉C/C₁ⁿ always isomorphic?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Ugh, I couldn’t make heads or tails of the question until it occurred to me that ’xmod’ is perhaps textmessagespeak for “a crossed module”. Please let’s write in standard English.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorelif
    yes, xmod means that a crossed module
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013

@elif: Try it in some simple examples, and for small values of nn? Are you meaning xmods of algebras or of groups? In the group case replacing square by commutator I think the answer is known using work by Baues and Conduché, and also it can be looked at from the point of view of the tensor square in that case. The only thing to do is to work it out!!!!!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Are you meaning xmods

Et tu, Tim? Or maybe everyone who deals with crossed modules uses this abbreviation, and I didn’t know it?

• CommentRowNumber6.

X is a cross so XMod is a suitable notation for the category of crossed modules, XComp, XSquare, etc, follow suit.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorelif
    @Tim Firstly, thanks four your comments... I use xmods here for crossed modules of algebras. Of course I will work out more detail.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

In my idiolect, a “cross” is a vertical line crossing a horizontal one, not two diagonal lines crossing each other. But in any case, even if the category of crossed modules is called XMod, that doesn’t justify writing “xmod” to mean “crossed module” in mathematical English.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013

In my idiolect, ‘cross’ means as Mike says, except in a mathematical context; compare the cross product ‘×\times’. That said, when I saw the OP, I first thought that it was some TeX thing; compare \bmod and \pmod. Once explained, however, it seems fine.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013

Although the + is the usual cross shaped symbol, the Saltire cross of Scotland is such a diagonal cross. Diagonal cross shaped flags are also used by St Patrick (thus making up two of the parts of the Union Flag of the UK with the Saltire), and in various other heraldic devices, (e.g. the Neville family). (Non-mathematical point: there are three parts to the Union Flag, yet there are four countries in the United Kingdom.)