Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2013
    • (edited Feb 15th 2018)

added a brief historical comment to Higgs field and added the historical references

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018

I have added references that discuss the vacuum in-stability of the measured Higgs potential: here.

(That useful list of references I extracted from Gordon Kane’s latest arXiv:1802.05199. It’s fun to see somebody go all in. I suppose this comment still applies.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2018

Edit to: Higgs field by Urs Schreiber at 2018-04-01 15:58:34 UTC.

Author comments:

added quote for conclusion of vacuum stability from Bednyakov et al:

“Their conclusion is that the best theoretical fit to measured parameters, including the Higgs and top-quark masses, points to a metastable Universe. However, their analysis also concludes that values of parameters are closer to a region of absolute stability than suggested by previous studies: it is possible for the Universe to be fully stable (and for the standard model to work all the way up to the Planck scale), if the true values of measured parameters are only 1.3 standard deviations away from the current best estimates.”

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Edit to: Higgs field by Urs Schreiber at 2018-04-01 18:09:13 UTC.

Author comments:

I have given discussion of Higgs-vacuum (in-)stability its own Properties-subsection, with plots from what should be the two main publications.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 1st 2018)

Have further expanded the section on the Higgs vacuum (in-)stability. Connected the discussion to the references on potential vacuum decay during inflation and citations arguing that a mechanism like supersymmetry would explain why this is being avoided.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Apr 1st 2018)

Maybe a good sign here is that I did not know until I checked the logs whether #5 was a generated announcement or whether Urs manually added the comment; from the logs, I believe it was indeed generated. Is that true, Urs?

I also see that from the logs that you made some ’trivial edits’ which have not polluted the nForum, so that seems to be working as well.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, that’s both right!

The only thing missing now is hyperlinks back to the edits. If these could be provided, I think it would be perfect.

With Mike I seem to agree that the software should simply generate a link to the corresponding “diff” version of the article. In the present case we should have a link to

https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/diff/Higgs+field/19

This would be useful in a variety of ways. And should be trivial for you to implement, I suppose?!

1. Great, thanks very much for letting me know!

I’ve now implemented the hyperlinking, following exactly Mike’s suggestion for syntax, except that I’ve changed the order slightly. Let me know if you’d like me to tweak it.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Philip Gibbs kindly informs me that he may have been the very first to discuss the near-criticality of the observed Higgs vacuum at https://vixra.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/what-would-a-higgs-at-125-gev-tell-us/. I have added pointer and expanded slightly.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hi Richard,

excellent! Thanks!!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2018

added graphics for Higgs mechanism via D-brane recombination

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2018

I have now started also a subsection “Asymptotic safety?”, so far mainly containing a quote and a figure from the precisision computation in BDGGSSS13, indicating that the beta-function of the quartic Higgs self-coupling does not actually asymptote to zero, contrary to what the principle of “asymptotic safety” might suggest.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2018

Expanded discussion of asymptotic safety (or not) of Higgs quartic coupling.

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2018

added also pointer to the recent AFS 18

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018

added pointer to

• Sebastian Baum, On the metastability of the Standard Model, 2015 (pdf)

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2018

added more reviews of the metastbility issue

• Matthew Schwartz, Do we know if our universe is stable?, Rutgers Seminar 2015 (pdf)

• Alessandro Strumia, Higgs and Vacuum (In)Stability, talk at GGI 2017 (pdf)

and added pointer to non-perturbativeness of the vacuum decay issue

• Anders Andreassen, David Farhi, William Frost, Matthew D. Schwartz, Precision decay rate calculations in quantum field theory, Phys. Rev. D 95, 085011 (2017) (arXiv:1604.06090)

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2019

just to put it somewhere, until the entry is editable again, a reference that should be added:

• Sally Dawson, Christoph Englert, Tilman Plehn, Higgs Physics: It ain’t over till it’s over, Physics Reports (arXiv:1808.01324)
  2. Change images from img to imagefromfile blocks.

diff, v37, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2019

okay, thanks!

so I have added now the reference mentioned above

diff, v38, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2019

started a subsection “Possible causes of the near-criticality” (here)

diff, v39, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2019
    • (edited Jun 14th 2019)

added pointer to

(I wish PDG would make it easier to figure out how to properly and stably cite these chapters. If anyone has a hint for how to improve the links, let me know)

diff, v41, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2019
    • (edited Jun 14th 2019)

added this quote from PDG 18, p. 9 on the issue of vacuum metastability (BTW, formulas in blockquotes now come out typeset too large):

However, for the value of Higgs mass experimentally measured, the EW vacuum of the Higgs potential is most likely metastable. Indeed, the high energy evolution of λ\lambda show sthat it becomes negative at energies Λ=𝒪(10 1010 12)\Lambda = \mathcal{O}(10^{10}-10^{12}) GeV, with a broader range if the top quark mass exceeds its current measured value by . When this occurs, the SM Higgs potential develops an instability and the long term existence of the EW vacuum is challenged. This behavior may call for new physics at an intermediate scale before the instability develops, i.e., below M_Planck, otherwise, the electroweak vacuum remains metastable.

diff, v41, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2019

added pointers to gauge-Higgs unification

diff, v44, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2020

added pointer to

• Mark P. Hertzberg, Mudit Jain, Explanation for why the Early Universe was Stable and Dominated by the Standard Model, JCAP 2020 (arXiv:1911.04648)

diff, v49, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2020

added pointer to today’s

diff, v50, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2021

added pointer to today’s

diff, v51, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2023

added pointer to today’s

• Thomas Steingasser, David I. Kaiser, Higgs Criticality beyond the Standard Model [arXiv:2307.10361]

diff, v56, current

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2024

added pointer to today’s

diff, v57, current