Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009

Created algebraic theories in functional analysis. I've recently learnt about this connection and would like to learn more so I've created this page as a place to record my (and anyone else's) findings on this. I probably won't get round to doing much before the new year, though.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Dec 18th 2009)

What's your definition of ‘algebraic’? Johnstone defines an algebraic category to be one that is monadic over Set. The Joy of Cats proves that every monadic category is algebraic (but not conversely). Yet you have a category that is monadic but not algebraic. Maybe you mean what The Joy of Cats calls bounded monadic or bounded algebraic: given by a small set of operations and equations (or possibly other laws).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentRowNumber4.

See! It's proving useful already and I haven't even written anything substantial yet.

More seriously, the distinctions are stuff that I don't know about so are things that I'll need to learn as I work through this stuff. But that's the point of doing it! And by doing it publicly, I get the benefit of people like you shouting from the sidelines "What do you mean by algebraic?" when I didn't even realise that I didn't understand.

(But please note that I won't be able to think about this properly until the new year so please don't get frustrated with me if I don't immediately change stuff.)

• CommentRowNumber5.

Note: I just rewrote comment #2 using better terminology. (I also just rewrote equationally presentable category that way, too, in case you already looked at it closely.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Dec 18th 2009)

Actually, I think that you reported Yemon Choi's answer incorrectly; Ban is not monadic. The Joy of Cats agrees; it is not even algebraic, which for them is a weaker condition. But it is essentially algebraic, a yet weaker condition that I found too confusing to summarise at algebraic category. Possibly this means that it can be described using partial operations, which is one meaning of ‘essentially algebraic’, although possibly not Joy's meaning.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

I've finally gotten round to following the reference that Todd kindly provided in answer to my question on MO about this (to a section in Toposes, Triples, and Theories). I've started expanding the Banach space example from TTT into this page - not done yet, of course, and not really anything said that isn't in TTT.

Of course, I've probably gotten all my language wrong since I don't yet fully understand all the bits about algebraic versus monadic versus whatever, but I think that I at least now get a picture of the problem with Banach spaces: there aren't enough of them. So it's not that the functor from Ban to Set is bad, it's just that the category of Banach spaces misses out some algebras for the corresponding triple.

I have a sneaking suspicion that (in TTT language) the functor Ban to Set is of descent type, but I've yet to prove it (and TTT doesn't say one way or the other).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2018

Added link to TAC reprint of Barr and Wells, and fixed up some combined HTML/iTeX code that wasn’t rendering.

diff, v10, current