Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013
    • (edited Feb 11th 2021)

I’ve mention a couple of times, e.g., in this thread, some ideas of Tom Goodwillie on developing analogues of differential geometry for certain \infty-categories. For example, he speaks of two connections, a tangent and a cotangent one, deriving from base change and cobase change, and the difference between them amounting to smash product of spectra.

Tom has kindly shown me a grant proposal he wrote sketching these ideas. Perhaps we could have a discussion here about it. I can pass on the proposal to those interested.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

One thing I would like to understand is whether these ideas can be fit into one of the existing categorical frameworks for differential geometry, such as synthetic differential geometry or differential categories – or perhaps a categorification thereof.

For instance, Goodwillie defines the tangent category of a pointed category PP to be the category E(S *,P)E(S_*,P) of excisive functors from pointed spaces to PP, and the tangent category at xx of an unpointed category CC to be the tangent category of C xC_x (the category of sectioned objects over xx), serving as a sort of “infinitesimal neighborhood” of xx in CC.

This seems to me reminiscent of the SDG definition of the tangent space at xx to a microlinear object MM as the set of maps from the “nilsquare line” DD into MM which take 00 to xx. Any such map factors through the “infinitesimal neighborhood” of xx, and the condition of taking 00 to xx seems perhaps analogous to excisivity? Moreover, DD is exactly the nilsquare neighborhood of 00 in the standard line RR, just as S *S_* is the category of sectioned objects over the one-point space in the standard category SS of spaces. Is there anything here?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The condition that 0 be taken to x is explicit in the goodwillie setup. Apart from this excisiveness somehow encodes linearity. And this seems to be a crucial difference to sdg, where it is instead all maps out of D that give tangents.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Just to check, his tangent categories are the same as our tangent (infinity,1)-categories? At least they agree for TopTop and E RingE_{\infty}-Ring.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, they are the same

• CommentRowNumber6.

But in the case of E RingE_{\infty}-Ring, we want E(E Ring *,E Ring x)E(E_{\infty}-Ring_{\ast}, E_{\infty}-Ring_x) don’t we to match our

Exc 1(H */,H)THExc^1(\mathbf{H}^{\ast/},\mathbf{H}) \simeq T\mathbf{H} is the collection of parameterized spectra in H\mathbf{H}, hence the tangent (∞,1)-topos of H\mathbf{H}?

So it’s only E(Top *,C x)E(Top_{\ast}, C_x), when CC is TopTop?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Dec 19th 2013)

Oh no, that’s only for H\mathbf{H} a topos. But still, we shouldn’t be just using Top *Top_{\ast}?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, that’s a typo!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Dec 19th 2013)

OK, so should we be interested in Exc 1(H,H */)Exc^1(\mathbf{H},\mathbf{H}^{\ast/})? Ought we to have an entry for cotangent (,1)(\infty, 1)-category?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 19th 2013)

Yes but pointed H must be pointed InftyGrpd throughout. This is a bad typo in the entry. I just tried to fix it but difficult on the phone. Also the lab seems to be down again

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, back on my usual machine for a moment. I have restarted the nLab and then fixed that typo in exmaple 1 of n-excisive (∞,1)-functor.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2013

So we also need to change at jet (infinity,1)-category?

Given a differentiable (∞,1)-category 𝒞\mathcal{C}, then the (∞,1)-category of n-excisive functors from the pointed objects in 𝒞\mathcal{C} itself to 𝒞\mathcal{C} behaves like the bundles of order-nn Goodwillie derivatives over all objects of 𝒞\mathcal{C}. Hence this is the analog of the nnth order jet bundle in Goodwillie calculus.

In particular for n=1n = 1 this is the tangent (∞,1)-category of 𝒞\mathcal{C}.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • (edited Dec 20th 2013)

In Goodwillie’s proposal we have

T xC=E(Top *,C x)T_{x}C = E(Top_{*}, C_x) and CoT xC=E(C x,Top *)CoT_{x}C = E(C_x, Top_{*}), for the cotangent category.

Then since E(C x,D y)Hom(T xC,T yD)E(C_{x}, D_{y}) \simeq Hom(T_x C, T_y D), and T *Top *SpT_{*} Top_{*} \simeq Sp, he can write

CoT xC=E(C x,Top *)Hom(T xC,Sp). CoT_{x}C = E(C_x, Top_{*}) \simeq Hom(T_x C, Sp).

So he could also write

T xC=E(Top *,C x)Hom(Sp,T xC). T_{x}C = E(Top_{*}, C_x) \simeq Hom(Sp, T_x C).

So nothing surprising.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • (edited Dec 20th 2013)

Edit: changed the previous comment, so this is now wrong.

[Hmm, rambling on, wouldn’t this make SpSp play the role of DD in SDG, and then also RR? But what of R DR×RR^D \simeq R \times R? Restricted to preservation of 0, that’s just RR on the right.

What is Hom(Sp,Sp)Hom(Sp, Sp)? Should one restrict to those preserving the zero object? Is this just T *SpT_{*} Sp, which is SpSp itself?

Is that just like Hom Ab(,)=Hom_{Ab}(\mathbb{Z}, \mathbb{Z}) = \mathbb{Z}?]

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 20th 2013)

Yes, right, have fixed it.

Concerning how to think of this as SDG: there is “2-algebraic geometry”, or rather “(,2)(\infty,2)-algebraic geometry” where commutative rings or E E_\infty-rings are replaced by symmetric monoidal \infty-categories. Aspects of this appear for instance in Tannaka duality for geometric stack.

In such a context it would seem to be fairly straightforward to talk about higher analogs of SDG. In particular it seems that regarding (Sp,)(Sp, \wedge) as a 2-algebra this way, there are useful statements obtained. For instance its prime ideals, hence the points of the “spectrum of spectra” apparently correspond to the Morava E-theory spectra. At least roughly, I may have to recall the details.

Now however in Goodwillie calculus the tensor product structure does not play a role. Instead it’s just the colimits and limits that somehow encode the structure of “varieties”. Somehow I suppose one needs to say this correctly and then the higher SDG analog would become apparent.

• CommentRowNumber16.

Regarding my #14, I’ve added the characterization to Spec of its universal property as the free stable locally presentable (infinity,1)-category on one generator.

• CommentRowNumber17.

So just as the universal property of \mathbb{Z} as a free abelian group on one generator induces a product

Hom Ab(F(*),F(*))Hom Set(*,UF(*)), Hom_{Ab} (F(*), F(*)) \simeq Hom_{Set} (*, U F(*)),

did SpecSpec have to have a product?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Could we please not use SpecSpec for the category of spectra? To me SpecSpec is the functor of taking the spectrum of something, e.g. the Zariski spectrum of a ring. How about SpSp?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013

Perhaps context would be enough to reduce to SpSp, despite other uses, as in symplectic groups. But maybe something longer would be better. SpectSpect or SpectraSpectra.

Anyway, I’d like to hear more about Urs’ remarks in #15. Didn’t we have Cafe discussions about a 2-algebraic geometry in that tempestuous thread on Algebraic Geometry for Category Theorists?