Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014

created an entry beable

(Surprisingly, this keyword does not have a Wikipedia entry…)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Ugh. Not an attractive English word, IMHO.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

How about spelling it “be-able” instead?

But I can’t help it, that’s what it’s called…

• CommentRowNumber4.

I know you can’t help it. No, I’d leave the spelling alone (no hyphen unless that’s what appears in the literature); it’s clear from the context how it should be pronounced. In fact, please feel free to ignore my last comment entirely! :-)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

I added two later references and a remark on how this connects to Bohr toposes.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 8th 2014)

Thanks.

Two questions:

I have trouble locating the paragraph where Bell explicitly talks about mutually commuting operators, classical contexts. Where is it?

Second, there seems to be some transmutation of the term in the course of its history which is not fully clear to me. First it’s just a new word meant to help to talk about standard quantum mechanics, but before long people use it as if giving a new interpretation or something of quantum mechanics. Do you oversee this? We should comment on that in the entry.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014

Sorry, I need to add more information. I was doing this from memory.

I was taking the Halvorson Clifton definition of beable subalgebra (p9) and then focussing on the important special case of the definite algebra D ρD_\rho for a state ρ\rho. This is the subalgebra on which ρ\rho is dispersion free. Hence, for each commutative subalgebras of CD ρC\subset D_\rho, a choice of an element of its spectrum (values). These choices are compatible. Hence, we obtain a local section.

I’ll add this tomorrow.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014

Okay, thanks. By the way, I don’t doubt that you are right, but when reading your message I noticed that I had trouble finding the actual definitions in Bell’s articles (or elsewhere).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014

Done.

We once had a plan to further explore these connections between beables and Bohr toposes, but never found the time.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2020

I tripped repeatedly over the grammar of the first sentence in the second paragraph, so I added two commas, mainly to clarify that “this” is in this instance a pronoun, not a determiner.

diff, v5, current