Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Let KGK\hookrightarrow G be a normal subgroup. Then we have a quotient group G/KG/K and a short exact sequence of groups 1KGG/K11\to K\to G\to G/K\to 1. This sequence deloops giving the fiber sequence BKBGB(G/K)\mathbf{B}K\to \mathbf{B}G\to \mathbf{B}(G/K). Is this also a cofiber sequence? I suspect so, but I’m not sure (for sure it is true for abelian groups). Yet the nLab page on cofiber sequences it seems this example is not discussed, so maybe I’m wrong here.

The reason I’m interested in BKBGB(G/K)\mathbf{B}K\to \mathbf{B}G\to \mathbf{B}(G/K) being a cofiber sequence is that this would give a natural description of representations of the quotient G/KG/K as representations of GG together with the datum of a trivialization of their restriction to KK (actually proving by hand this equivalence would be a proof that the sequence is a cofiber sequence, but if the result is already known (either as true or as false) I’d avoid working this out in detail myself).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014

I think it may not be. KGK\to G is a crossed module, and G/KG/K acts by outer automorphisms on KK, and so at least in the topological classifying case sense, I think BGB(G/K)BG\to B(G/K) is a fibre bundle with fibre BKBK and structure group Out(K)Out(K). Or at least, something like that.

This is related somewhat to figuring out what the nonabelian version of a lifting bundle gerbe is.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Is it really true even for abelian groups if you’re talking about spaces rather than spectra?

• CommentRowNumber4.

Well, for central extensions, yes.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDylan Wilson
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014

Unless I’m misinterpreting the notation, this seems like it would almost never happen just by inspection of cohomology groups. As a fiber sequence the relationship between the cohomology groups is a spectral sequence; in a cofiber sequence you get a long exact sequence.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Feb 25th 2014)

Gah, I misread the question, so just ignore what I wrote in #2 and #4.

2. This is generally false. For example consider the central extension of abelian groups

/2 \mathbb{Z}\to \mathbb{Z} \to \mathbb{Z}/2

after taking classifying spaces you get

S 1S 1ℝℙ S^1 \to S^1 \to \mathbb{RP}^\infty

but the cofiber of the first map (which is a double covering map) is only ℝℙ 2\mathbb{RP}^2.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I’ve added this counterexample to the page cofiber sequence.

3. Hi Chris,

Thanks, that’s a beautiful example!

By the way, the natural morphism cofiber(BB)B(/2)cofiber(B\mathbb{Z}\to B\mathbb{Z})\to B(\mathbb{Z}/2) is homotopy equivalent the canonical inclusion 2 \mathbb{R}\mathbb{R}^2\hookrightarrow \mathbb{R}\mathbb{P}^\infty in this case and so it induces in particular an isomorphism on fundamental groups up to π 1\pi_1. This I guess should be a general phenomenon, i.e., one should have cofiber(BKBG)B(G/K)cofiber(B K\to B G)\to B(G/K) inducing an iso on π 0\pi_0 and π 1\pi_1 in general (the π 0\pi_0 case being obvious, and the π 1\pi_1 being Seifert-van Kampen theorem), am I right?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2014

Yes, that seems right to me.