Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

For computable function, I understand this to be a synonym for partial recursive function; the trend seems to be to use “computable” more in modern texts and “partial recursive” in older ones. Anyway, one might consider a renaming or redirect or something.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

Quick comment: We wrote an overview article some time ago. The page should be merged with computable analysis.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

This was quick.

Actually, I should merge with exact analysis, then. Give me just a minute…

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, I don’t have the energy to merge the entries now, and you would be more expert than me to do so anyway. All I did was add that survey and cross-link constructive analysis and computable analysis.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Todd, there is essentially nothing in that entry. You should go and fill in whatever you deem appropriate.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2014

Well, no, what I think I’d rather do (instead of “filling in”) is merge into partial recursive function. So I’ll do that.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 1st 2014)

Does “computable function” mean the same in computable analysis? Does it matter to distinguish between “number realizability” and “function realizability”?

• CommentRowNumber9.

Okay, I see. If in computable analysis, a computable function has domain \mathbb{R} (for instance), then the answer would have to be ’no’. In that case, I think it makes sense to write an article titled, e.g., computable function (analysis). The Wikipedia article that had been linked to in the earlier article you wrote up gives the notion involving partial recursive functions whose domain is a subset of k\mathbb{N}^k, so I assumed that was meant, hence the merge.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

All right, let’s have computable function (analysis), eventually. Have added the disambiguation now at partial recursive function.

BTW, in that entry and maybe elsewhere, “Church-Turing thesis” should eventually hyperlink to somewhere…

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Todd, looking at p. 4 of Andrej Bauer’s lecture notes (pdf) makes me feel that we should have a standalone entry “computable function” after all, with some general discussion along such lines and then pointing to the various special incarnations.

Would you object?

• CommentRowNumber12.

Urs, that seems sensible to me.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, please check out computable function now. Please edit as you see the need.