Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014

An ‘anonymous coward’ has made quite substantial changes to Geometric nerve of a bicategory, which do not seem to me to be quite fair to Jack Duskin’s contribution. Ross Street makes it clear that Jack and he worked together on the start of the orientals project. Orientals are not mentioned in the entry except for the referenced paper. Also the term geometric nerve is the term used by Duskin. If the person who has changed things is concerned about precedence of papers then they should have mentioned Boardman and Vogt, and Cordier, who both provided insights that led to the definition. What do others of you think?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 31st 2014)

Looking at the edit changes, this is indeed a somewhat agressive edit.

It’s been a while since I looked into this. Maybe it’s actually justified on some objective grounds, I don’t know. On the other hand the term “Duskin nerve” is absolutely standard, and just removing mentioning of this seems wrong even if (which I don’t know) the idea is not fully originally due to Duskin.

Hopefully somebody with a spare five minutes for this looks into it and edits the entry a bit to alleviate the edits by that Anonymous.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Urs, your reaction reflects mine. I will do some minor edits to it and then see how it looks.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Mar 31st 2014)

Actually I do not think the description is correct! The canonical embedding of CatCat into BicatBicat is not the one that works here as that gives that each hom-category in the resulting bicategory will be discrete or am I mixing things up. (Edit: I now see the point, but feel that the entry needs some ’tender loving care’ as I did not initially ’twig’ as to how the NLax bit came in!)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2014

I renamed this entry so as to conform with the lower case initial letter convention.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2020

Cleaned up redirects.

diff, v13, current