Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014

I strongly disagree with the statement in Grothendieck category that the Grothendieck category is small. The main examples like RMod{}_R Mod are not! What did the writer of that line have in mind ?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014

Probably “locally small”?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014

An AbAb-enriched category is by definition locally small – abelian group is not a class. So “abelian locally small” is also a nonsense. I think we should erase this and leave at that place within the definition simply abelian category.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2017

I added to the Properties section of Grothendieck category the observation that such admits an injective cogenerator (Theorem 9.6.3 of Kashiwara-Schapira).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017
    • (edited Jan 12th 2021)

Does the class of locally presentable Grothendieck categories coincide with the class of categories of sheaves of abelian groups on a site, i.e., categories of abelian groups in a Grothendieck topos?

It seems to me that it is so, using the following argument:

A locally presentable Grothendieck category can be defined as a locally presentable abelian category such that filtered colimits preserve finite limits.

Any locally presentable abelian category is a reflective localization of the category of presheaves of abelian groups on a small category.

The commutation of filtered colimits and finite limits implies that the reflection functor preserves finite limits.

A left exact localization of the category of presheaves of abelian groups on a small category can be identified with the category of sheaves of abelian groups on the associated site (the covering sieves are those sieves that the reflector sends to an isomorphism).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2021

Added that a Grothendieck category is locally presentable, by the Gabriel-Popescu theorem.

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Jan 13th 2021)

[Edit: ignore this!]

• CommentRowNumber8.

Corrected the claim about local presentability, mentioned Vopěnka’s principle.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2021

Oh! I had seen it stated unconditionally that Grothendieck category implies locally presentable. See

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grothendieck_category
    • The citation from wikipedia is appendix A of https://arxiv.org/abs/1005.3251

I hadn’t yet had a chance to fill out the sketched argument; is the issue about the smallness of the generator? Should the correct statement be something like a Grothendieck category is κ\kappa-presentable iff it has a κ\kappa-compact generator?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • (edited Jan 13th 2021)

Re #9: If a Grothendieck abelian category has a small generator, then it is locally presentable.

Concerning the cited paper by Jan Šťovíček, I do not see how to show in Lemma A.1 that G’ in his notation (the image of the embedding functor in the category of modules) is closed under κ-directed colimits for some κ.

He refers to pages 198–199 in Stenström’s book, but these pages are from the section “Construction of Modules of Quotients”, and I cannot find any relevant statements there.

The most straightforward way to establish this claim is to assume that the generator G is κ-small.

But perhaps I am missing something. You may want to email the author directly.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorMarc Hoyois

@Dmitri The version of Gabriel-Popescu in that book (Theorem 4.1 on page 220) states that any Grothendieck category is equivalent to a category of F-closed A-modules, where F is some collection of ideals in A and a module M is F-closed if Hom(A,M) → Hom(I,M) is an isomorphism for any ideal I ∈ F. Since A-modules are locally presentable, F-closed A-modules are clearly an accessible localization. So if this version of Gabriel-Popescu is correct, it implies that every Grothendieck category is locally presentable.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Re #11: I see, page 198 gives the definition of F-closed modules used in his version of the Gabriel–Popescu theorem.

Indeed, it appears that this argument proves this claim unconditionally.

I wonder if there is a more direct way to see this, without passing through the rather technical proof of Theorem 4.1 on page 220.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2021

I added a comprehensive and reliable survey of Grothendieck categories by Garkusha which also mentions some connections to model theory.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2021

Added a reference to Krause’s proof that all Grothendieck categories are locally presentable (without Vopěnka’s principle).

Added a reference to a generalization for κ-filtered colimits.

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2022

Mention that Grothendieck categories may be seen as enriched topoi.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2023

added also pointer to:

for the fact that Grothendieck abelian categories are locally presentable.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 18th 2023)

made more explicit that categories of vector spaces are an example (here)

added a reference for the claim that categories of unbounded chain complexes in a Grothendieck abelian category are themselves Grothendieck abelian:

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to:

for proof that RModR Mod is Grothendieck abelian internal to any Grothendieck topos (this example)

diff, v31, current