Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014

created The Rising Sea to record a reference (once I had found it)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

The same reference also appears in nPOV.

I added some redirects, and also mentioned Daniel Murfet’s website.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • (edited May 1st 2014)

Is Daniel Murfet’s website really worth mentioning on this page? It doesn’t have anything directly to do with Grothendieck’s analogy as far as I know.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Well, anyone who feels strongly that it should be removed should remove it. However, I’m not really sure I understand why it is objectionable: someone who didn’t know about the website might be glad they learned of it here.

Otherwise it seems the only purpose of the page is just to record a reference (hence, a somewhat limited purpose). But as I say, remove it if it bothers you.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2019
    • (edited Mar 8th 2019)

I have expanded the Idea-section, to say what Grothendieck’s metaphor actually sys before turning to listing websites named after it.

Please help:

I feel Grothendieck’s metaphor (maybe as expanded elsewhere) involved the imagery of a nut cracked not by force but, slowly but gently, by immersing it into water.

However, the quote currently in our entry does not reflect that. If there is a Grothendieck quote involving that nut, we should add it, otherwise, if I am hallucinating here, what I just wrote in the Idea-section may need modifying.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2019

Oh, sorry, Grothendieck mentioned the nut right before the quote we have. I have added it now.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2019
    • (edited Mar 9th 2019)

Yes, they are two different metaphors for the same thing.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2020
    The pdf link to McLarty's article is dead (gives a 404 error from the page's source).

Jose Capco
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2020

I have replaced that link with one to the Grothendieck circle.

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2020

Added Vakil’s textbook.

diff, v14, current