Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2014
    • (edited May 11th 2014)

started a minimum at M-wave

(I was after the kind of statement as cited by Chu-Isono there, but have added now a minimum of the background literature, too).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2018

added pointer to Townsend 97.

Is there a reference that discusses M-waves at /2\mathbb{Z}/2-singularities in analogy to how Witten 95 discusses M5-branes at /2\mathbb{Z}/2-singularities?

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

At M-wave it refers to duality between M-theory and type IIA string theory which directs to the ’duality in string theory’ page. There’s no explicit mention of M-theory/type IIA string theory duality there.

Elsewhere F-branes – table has double dimension reduction relating them. Is this is what is being referred to?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

okay, I have started a bare minimum at duality between M-theory and type IIA string theory. No time for more at the moment.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2018
    • (edited May 2nd 2018)

Is there a reference that discusses M-waves at /2\mathbb{Z}/2-singularities in analogy to how Witten 95 discusses M5-branes at /2\mathbb{Z}/2-singularities?

I found discussion of the relevant orbifolds, locally of the form mathbrR 1,1×( 9 refl 2)\mathbr{R}^{1,1} \times (\mathbb{R}^9 \sslash_{refl} \mathbb{Z}_2) on p. 11-12 of

but the relation to the M-wave seems not to be made there.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Added pointer to Philip 05, p. 94 which, thankfully, makes fully explicit that the spinor-to-vector pairing on the M-wave hits precisely just one of the two light-rays.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

This here gets at least very close to what I was asking for above: BPST 09, bottom of p. 13 (added the pointer) argues that the M-wave may intersect a black M2 at ADE-singularities

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

If D0 branes can form condensates (to form an extra circular direction), can M-waves?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 2nd 2018)

By remark 3.11 in arXiv:1308.5264, one precise interpretation of “brane condensation” is: passage to the homotopy fiber of the cocycle that corresponds to the given brane.

Moreover, by an unpublished result, an M-wave, being a “black brane” instead of a “fundamental brane”, is not itself given by a cocycle, but instead is part of the data of a real equivariant enhancement of the cocycle corresponding to the “fundamental” M2/M5-branes in rational super cohomotopy in degree 4.

Hence there is no M-wave cocycle by itself, but there is a cocycle that embodies some kind of unity of the fundamental M2, the fundamental M5 and the M-wave.

Of that cocycle one could now compute the homotopy fiber! Namely in the corresponding homotopy theory of GSuperSpaces G SuperSpaces_{\mathbb{R}}, for G= 2G = \mathbb{Z}_2 acting such as to have codimension 9 fixed points.

That might be interesting to compute! But I have not looked into it yet.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2019
    • (edited Feb 12th 2019)

prodded by acceptance of our ADE-article I am completing and cleaning up some referencing, here I just added these two pointers for the M-orientifold version of the M-wave:

diff, v8, current