Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2014
    • (edited May 11th 2014)

felt the desire to have an entry on the general idea (if any) of synthetic mathematics, cross-linking with the relevant examples-entries.

This has much room for being further expanded, of course.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2019

Since “synthetic homnotopy theory” redirects here, I tried to add some pointers, but just a start:

Discussion of synthetic homotopy theory (typically understood as homotopy type theory):

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2019

added pointer to

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2021

I noticed that the link “synthetic homotopy theory” didn’t go anywhere. Have made it a redirect to synthetic mathematics now, since that is the entry which has a subsection “Synthetic homotopy theory”. Optimally it should be given it’s own entry, though.

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Sorry that was me. I was in the process of setting up a new page yesterday, but removing the redirect didn’t generate the usual ? link, and I got called away. I’ll see if I have time today.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, I see. All the better! Let’s create that page, when anyone finds the time.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I’m trying again, have removed the redirect, but synthetic homotopy theory still ends up at synthetic mathematics

Redirected from “synthetic homotopy theory”

1. Removed now. Think there is a little bug in such cases, which submitting an edit after the first one usually solves. I’ll try to fix the bug when I get a chance.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Thanks!

2. There are versions of Tarski’s axioms for synthetic Euclidean geometry that apply for any finite dimension nn \in \mathbb{N}.

Anonymous

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2022

Another recently active area initiated by Jon Sterling. Hopefully he or someone familiar with the topos-theoretic details (maybe me after I do some more reading) can initiate a page.

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2022

Just to clarify that the “recently active area” mentioned in #11 is probably the “synthetic Tait computatibility theory” (now requested here)

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    Just to be clear, "synthetic Tait computatibility" is not a subfield of "synthetic computability theory", it's a synthetic approach to performing constructions that are called "Tait computability". In particular the toposes involved are not (inherently) related. I've added a little to the idea section of each to say what the toposes involved are.
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Just to be clear, “synthetic Tait computatibility” is not a subfield of “synthetic computability theory”

Would be good to further expand on this at synthetic Tait computability, because this is surprising, given the terminology: I gather then it must be true that also “Tait computability” is not a subfield of “computability”?!

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorjonsterling

I’ll try to write something about it soon… It is indeed separate from computability theory; the history is that there is a central technique in CS/Logic called “Tait’s Method of Computability” that I abstracted synthetically. It corresponds to working synthetically in a glued topos, i.e. a topos equipped with a distinguished subterminal.

3. added link to synthetic guarded domain theory

Anonymous

diff, v30, current