Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2014

I added the remark that the canonical model structure on Cat is the model structure obtained by transferring the projective model structure on bisimplicial sets.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

That statement sounded very confusing until I looked at the page and realized you were transferring it along Rezk’s classifying diagram functor!

Surely you’ll get the same thing if you transfer the injective/Reedy model structure?

1. There is a unique model structure on Cat with the weak equivalences the equivalences of categories (at least assuming AC). So if these other variants transfer then they give the same model structure.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

Huh. That’s surprising – for instance, Beke has shown that there are different choices of cofibrations in sSetsSet for the usual weak homotopy equivalences in sSetsSet. How does one prove uniqueness for CatCat?

2. Another nice exercise along these lines is to show (again assuming AC) that the category of sets has precisely nine Quillen model structures, no more, no less.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014

Chris, that’s just great; thank you! I’ve now mentioned this at canonical model structure on Cat (just something quick for now, with links). I hope a fuller treatment will appear at some point within the nLab (and really this result deserves to be shouted from the rooftops; I had not heard it either).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2014

Very nice result! I suppose this is the ultimate justification for the name ‘canonical’.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014

I went ahead and did a write-up of the uniqueness result, pretty much exactly Chris’s proof with only a few minor changes.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorCharles Rezk
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015
    • (edited Apr 9th 2015)

I added a reference to the earliest reference for the canonical model structure (although only for 1-groupoids) that I am aware of.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015

@Charles where did you add this? Neither canonical model structure on groupoids or canonical model structure on Cat show recent edits. Is this reference prior to

D.W. Anderson, Fibrations and Geometric Realizations, Bull. Am. Math Soc. 84, 765-786, (1978), 765-786.

as shown at canonical model structure on groupoids?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorCharles Rezk
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2015

Oh, apparently I added it to canonical model structure, which seems not to be cross-linked with the pages you mention.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2015

Thanks for the alert. I have added the missing cross-links.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2015

Looking at the entry made me move all the references to the bottom of the entry and edit a bit to make it more standard. (new References section).

Also, I notice that the pointer to Anderson has been there are model structure on Grpd all along. Everbody who cares about the quality of the nLab: please take this incident as further incentive to be mindful about adding sufficient cross-links.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019

I added a brief comparison to the Thomason model structure, just to make it easy for readers to find that page.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019

The link in

Along similar lines, one can prove (assuming AC) that there are nine – count ’em, nine – Quillen model structures on SetSet.

is broken.

That page is available via Wayback

https://web.archive.org/web/20150924020643/http://www.math.harvard.edu/~oantolin/notes/modelcatsets.html

but its math symbols are broken.

However Omar Antolín Camarena is now in Mexico and hosts the page there so I swapped in the link

https://www.matem.unam.mx/~omar/notes/modelcatsets.html

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2020

Added a reference to CatLab.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2020
    • (edited Dec 3rd 2020)

Changed ’different than’ to ’different from’ which is easier on the ear!

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I believe that’s a UK/US thing, Tim. They do insist on speaking differently from/than us.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

There are occasions even in English where ’different’ does take ’than’, but the one I changed did not seem to be one of them. (I loved the announcement over the intercom on a US flight that ‘the plane will momentarily be landing’! Very confusing for an English speaker. Perfectly clear for an Unitedstatesian speaker. (I do not know the correct translation of the French term ’étatsunian’. ) There should be a good term for the language spoken in the US, and which is closely related to English. :-)

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2023

added missing pointer to:

By the way, does any publication state the cartesian monoidal model property of the canonical model structure on CatCat?

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2023
    • (edited Nov 2nd 2023)

added statement and proof (here) that the canonical model structure is cartesian monoidal.

In the course of this I have re-arranged the rest of the entry somewhat by moving the propositions out of the Definition-section into a Properties-section.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2023

Added

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber24.

@Tim #20

I’ve seen USAnian applied my a mathematician to the people; it might work for the language too, I guess.

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

the original discussion by Joyal & Tierney is already in the generality of internal categories (internal to topoi). So I have changed the wording on the item Everaert et al. to clarify that they generalize this to finitely complete ambient categories.

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

stated the observation (under “General properties”, here) that all objects are bifibrant so that the model structure is proper.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to

and added the statement of cofibrant generation (here)

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

For completeness, I added some words on the cofibrant generation statement (here).

diff, v33, current