Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010

Idea-section and one further reference at Thomason model structure.

I remember Mike once said on the blog somewhere that there might be some problem with Thomason's original claim that cofibrant objects in this structure are posets. I made a brief remark on this, but I can't find Mike's original comment.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 11th 2010)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

created cohomology of a category just for completeness in the course of Mike and my discussion on the blog

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010

I can't tell you much more... all I remember is what you said (someone said there might be a problem with it). I don't even remember who it was. (-: So it could just be a malicious rumor. I certainly haven't read the proof myself.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2014

I added the reference

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

The result on calculi of left fractions is especially interesting: it’s not often that we get a privileged direction in category theory!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Of course, the asymmetry comes from ExEx, not from category theory.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2019

I pointed to the canonical model structure, for comparison.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez

I undid that change, which had been unnecessary.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorMarc

updated links to Meier/Ozornova article and talk

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

gave these two reference more proper publication data:

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2021

Changed the language. The previous version gives the impression that the Thomason equivalences bear no relation to categorical equivalences, when in truth they include the categorical equivalences.

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2021

Collected some facts about the Thomason model structure

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2022

Added a formula for homotopy limits.

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • (edited Aug 22nd 2022)

(double post)

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • (edited Aug 22nd 2022)

Reverted the previous edit. I think there’s an error in Hirschhorn, Model Categories and Their Localizations.

In definition 18.1.8, the hypotheses are:

Let M be a simplicial model category and let C be a small category. If X is a C-diagram in M

and then proceeds to define holim(X) via the equalizer defining the end

holim(X)= cCX c B(Cc) holim(X) = \int_{c \in C} X_c^{B(C \downarrow c)}

I’m not sure I believe that statement. E.g. if we take M=sSet, let A=Δ 0A = \Delta^0 and let BB be the graph 012300 \to 1 \to 2 \to 3 \to 0. Let XX be the diagram of two parallel arrows ABA \to B, both sending the point to 00.

BB is the 1-sphere and this equalizer should compute the loop space at 00, so the homotopy limit should be homotopy equivalent to \mathbb{Z}.

However, this end reduces to computing the pullback of AB×BB Λ 2 2A \to B \times B \leftarrow B^{\Lambda^2_2}. In particular, it is a finite simplicial set, so it can’t have the right homotopy type.

Either I’ve made an error along the way, or it’s missing a fibrancy assumption on XX.

As an aside, the homotopy limit page has a lot more to say about colimits than limits

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

Either I’ve made an error along the way, or it’s missing a fibrancy assumption on X.

The fibrancy assumption on X is present in the correct place, see, for example, Theorem 18.5.3 in Hirschhorn.

Hirschhorn’s homotopy limit functor must be derived in order to compute the correct answer.

This is an unfortunate mismatch with older terminology (including Bousfield–Kan), who use “homotopy (co)limit” to refer to what we would call “weighted (co)limit” (with respect to a certain choice of weight).

These weighted (co)limits do compute homotopy (co)limits, but only under additional (co)fibrancy conditions.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2023

added pointer to:

diff, v35, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to:

diff, v35, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to

(though have any of Bruckner’s articles been published?)

diff, v35, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 1st 2023)

have fixed a few oddities in the formulation of the definition (here)

also deleted this line from the References-section:

[In Cisinski 1999] it was clarified that every cofibrant object in the Thomason model structure is a poset (although this is already explicitly mentioned in Thomason’s paper – see the beginning of section 5).

and instead added explicit statement of and reference to Thomason’s proposition 5.7 here

diff, v35, current