Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010

started stub for Chow group

hoping I got this right...

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jan 21st 2010)

Well, as I warned you in a parallel discussion there are MANY different versions of Chow groups, depending on particular adequate equivalence relation used. You here forced rational equivalence as THE equivalence in your exposition, what is OK for some purposes, but the general story is also important. It is like putting the condition "Zariski cover" in the definition of what a sheaf is. Another thing is that one can label them by dimension or by codimension of the cycles, and the distinction is of course crucial in their interpretation. Chow groups are rather difficult subject, especially in hi codimension. The business of filtrations is here important and more subtle than with algebraic K-theory. Of course, between the two there is again a version of the Chern character, as I mentioned earlier.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, thanks. Okay, I need to add at least a warning. Better yet, I try to better understand this! :-)

Which precise definition of Chow group should be the one that Denis-Charles Cisisnki refers to in the passage that I included into motivic cohomology?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

It is not obvious from that "Nisnevich" infinity stack description, I don't know which one.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2013

I updated the page with definitions and references.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Zoran, in the literature I haven't seen the term "Chow group" being used for other equivalence relations than rational equivalence. Even in André's book on motives, where other relations are also discussed, he specifically says that Z_k(X)/~ is called the Chow group in the case ~ = ~_rat.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Mar 21st 2013)

Already the very first google hit disproves you. Look at 2.7 of

http://jfresan.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/lectures-murre.pdf

and you will see variants CH hom *C H^*_{hom}, CH *=CH rat *C H^* = C H^*_{rat}, CH num *C H^*_{num} etc. used (in this notation) and compared. Of course, the DEFAULT case is the Chow groups for rational equivalence which are almost always used without saying “rational”. If we do not put any subscript to CHC H we mean rational, of course. But in the development of the theory, the other Chow groups are sometimes compared, with great importance and often with such names and notation.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • (edited Mar 21st 2013)

Indeed he uses the notation CH_hom, CH_num, etc., but he never calls these "Chow groups". This term is reserved for the rational case, see page 9. I believe this is because historically Chow introduced and studied rational equivalence. Anyway, I will add a note about this on the page.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    • (edited May 30th 2013)
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

It would be good to add brief explanation of some of the symbols that appear

At graph morphism I added a pointer to graph of a function.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Sorry, good catches. "long" denoted "longeur" and I changed it to "length".

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Nothing to apologize for! I am very thankful for your additions.