Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

I was getting

Connection Interrupted The document contains no data. The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

So I restarted the web server (‘hard’ restart). Now it's back.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! Relief. It was cold turkey.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Jan 23rd 2010)

Now that we have restarted, something is amiss with (I think) the CSS.

Whenever I load a page that (I think) is not in my browser's cache, my browser (Firefox 3.0 for Ubuntu) no longer colours links appropriately as visited. This only applies to links affected by CSS markup (existingWikiWord, etc), the few links that are not marked up at all (mostly in contents listings) are fine. (Note that colours are specified by the CSS for these; they are just not in any special class.) For the few pages in which visited links are coloured differently (I assume because they're in my browser's cache, the page has not changed, and it is not asking for the CSS to be reloaded, although that seems like incorrect behaviour), editing the page will cause the bug.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

There was a CSS update in the last batch, but I've not yet looked at it to see what the changes were. It's possible that this has changed things that ought not to have been changed.

On the crash, I'm a bit at a loss as to what caused it. My current hypothesis is that it was pure bad luck: the nlab processes were writing to the log files at the same time as the log files were being rotated and the nlab didn't like having them changed under it. My evidence for this is that it seems that the crash happened in between the log rotation and the only error message that I can find is about passenger trying to unlock a resource that was locked by something else. (This really shouldn't have caused a crash, though).

The proper solution is that I finally get round to installing a few automatic monitoring programs that keep an eye on things and try to restart programs when they aren't running. Just when I thought I could get back into the lab to do some mathematics as well ...

As a reminder, though: it's not just Toby and me that can restart the lab. Anyone who has any access whatsoever to the server can do the restart commands.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    • (edited Jan 25th 2010)

Re CSS:

My hypothesis in #3 is quite wrong, which I realised just before I lost my Internet connection a couple of days ago.

The offending line is not in the CSS files but in the individual pages' CSS commands.

In the <style type="text/css"> command, a new line has been added:

a:visited.existingWikiWord {
          color: #005c19;
        }

This line colours visited links within the web green. It affects every web, in a way vaguely consistent that web's colour scheme. (However, the offending colour is not quite the same colour as unvisited links within the web, just close enough to be confusing.)

This line appears when the cached file on the Instiki server either does not exist or is overwritten because the page has been edited. (It has nothing to do with my browser's local cache.)

Maybe this should go on another thread. It seemed to happen at the same time as the crash, but probably they are not connected.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

It's not related to the crash but to an update that happened that day. There've been a few updates to the CSS recently. Maybe it's time we sorted out the CSS once and for all!

The "stylesheet tweaks" seem to come last in the list and therefore ought to override everything (assuming I've understood how CSS works correctly) so we should be able to fix things like this ourselves.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010

Why the edit button at BPS-state tonight redirects to HomePage ??

I wanted to include Huybrechts 2009 notes on Kontsevich-Soibelman work

http://www.math.uni-bonn.de/people/huybrech/KS.pdf

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    • (edited Jan 28th 2010)

That's the cache bug, which I'll fix in a minute.

In the meantime, try BPS state.

Edit: fixed.