Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

I have started an article countable chain condition. So far most of the discussion is about topological spaces. (Additional small recent edits at separable space and metric space.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

That’s a lot of info!

I wonder what the “right” constructive version of this condition is. The notion of antichain doesn’t seem very constructive as-is.

• CommentRowNumber3.

These and other nLab things I’ve started are notes made on the side as I dip occasionally in Kunen’s set theory book, which I took with me on a recent vacation, thinking that I might try once and for all to do a sympathetic reading of consistency results as written by ZF-ists (more or less). Their style is somewhat alien to me.

I didn’t try to think too hard about constructive versions, but I agree this would be nice to know. Maybe Toby has thought some about this.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Aug 4th 2015)

The more general case of the κ\kappa-cc for regular κ\kappa is what is mostly used, and to preserve power sets on taking sheaves. Since the notion of regular cardinal is a bit difficult without AC, I expect for the constructive definition of ccc one really wants a statement that would usually be a theorem in classical maths.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Aug 4th 2015)

More generally, I believe there should be a relative form of this. Given a fibration of sites a la Moerdijk, there should be a relative κ\kappa-cc, corresponding to the case when the (inverse image part of the) induced geometric morphism preserves the appropriate power objects.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Aug 4th 2015)

Sorry, I’m being a bit slow. Here’s a nice perspective on ccc (and κ\kappa-cc) that I came up with a little while ago. The exact statement may have to be fine tuned, but it was something like: a poset \mathbb{P} satisfies the ccc (resp. κ\kappa-cc) if (and only if?) sieves (on \top? possibly for all objects) for the double-negation topology can be refined by sieves generated by no more that 0\aleph_0-many maps (resp. κ\kappa-many). Equivalently, I think, there is an equivalent site equipped with merely a coverage such that all covering families have size bounded by 0\aleph_0 (κ\kappa). A set theorist put it to me once as: there’s not much difference between an maximal antichain and a dense subset, the latter obviously

I’m not sure if this is best phrased (in the general case) as: the (indexing set of the) family of maps in such a covering family is a subquotient of κ\kappa. This plays well with the situation with sheaves as I mentioned above, and has clear extensions to arbitrary sites, not just (,¬¬)(\mathbb{P},\neg\neg)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015

Wow, neat! I can sort of vaguely see how that might work, but it would be nice to have it written out. Does that mean that the ¬¬\neg\neg-topology is an “ 1\aleph_1-ary site” as here?

• CommentRowNumber8.

Maybe just a weakly κ\kappa-ary site, for a poset satisfying κ\kappa-cc, and κ\kappa here is the minimum possible. The prelimit stuff might be related to what is called being <κ\lt \kappa-directed (or poss the related κ\kappa-closed). Note one can get off-by-one errors here (as in, these are ordinals, so there’s a κ\leq\kappa version)

• CommentRowNumber9.

Ah, right. Anyway, cool! If you ever feel like adding that proof to the page, it would be great…

1. Added template on countability properties.

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2020

Daniel, while this is very nice and should be put somewhere on the nLab, here it is unfortunately out of place.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2020

I’ll rescind my last comment. It doesn’t look so out of place to me today.