Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

Tim van Beek has graced us with these: Haag-Kastler axioms.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

Nice.

I edited a bit and added a bit.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011

With Todd Trimble I was discussing by email the motivation and physical meaning of the Haag-Kastler axioms. This is clearly something that should go into the nnLab, and so I have started expanding the entry.

So far all I did is add more motivation and explanation to the first two axioms: 1. isotonic copresheaf of algebras and 2. causal locality.

I won’t have much time to work on this these days, but maybe a little bit. I hope Todd will reply here and that in the course of further discussion we can see how the content of that entry can further be improved.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

At Haag-Kastler axioms I have expanded the section on Terminology and started a section on Motivation.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017

I have tried to expand a little the opening sentences in the Idea-section at Haag-Kastler axioms.

Also I tried to clean up the list of references. There were some pointers to articles by Summer et al. dropped there which clearly belonged to other entries: I moved them to scattering amplituce and to modular theory.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2018

added quote from Dyson 72

diff, v34, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2018

The ’E-invariance’ and ’P-invariance’ there refer to the Einstein group and the Poincaré group. Do we have the former by a different name? Dyson defines it as consisting of

all one-to-one and twice-differentiable transformations of the coordinates.

There’s a Wikipedia entry suggesting that Mendel Sachs found the group that Einstein was looking for. I see this same Sachs is generally not held in high esteem - Physics Stack Exchange.

Dyson ends that section with

The answer to my challenge will necessarily involve a delicate weaving together of concepts from differential geometry, functional analysis, and abstract algebra. With these words of warning I leave the problem to you.

With the advantage of the best part of 50 years, is there anything to say to Dyson’s challenge?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

It’s called the diffeomorphism group! :-)

Wikipedia sometimes gets stuck with the weirdest of attributions, maybe because it discourages experts from editing, who might not be considered “neutral” enough.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Of course, you’re suggesting that there is plenty to say, as treated at AQFT on curved spacetimes.

But is there some ’Einstein group’ at play?

• CommentRowNumber10.

It’s called the diffeomorphism group! :-)

Did Dyson need to specify ’twice-differentiable’?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • (edited Apr 7th 2018)

And how did this prediction pan out?

If we try to replace the Poincaré group P by the Einstein group E, we have no way to define a space-like relationship between two regions, and axiom (5) becomes meaningless…an E-invariant axiom of local commutativity to replace axiom (5) will require at least some quantum-mechanical analog of Riemannian geometry.

Would he take p.11 of QFT on curved spacetimes: axiomatic framework and examples as providing the right solution?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 7th 2018)

Did Dyson need to specify ’twice-differentiable’?

This comes from the fact that the Riemann tensor is second order in derivatives of the metric, so that the minimum order differentiablitiy that one needs to require in order to preserve the Einstein-Hilbert action of pure gravity is 2. But since one will generally want to allow various matter couplings which may have higher order derivatives in them (the whole action functional being transgressed from a Lagrangian density on the jet bundle) it is natural and has become standard to require arbitrary differntiability, hence diffeomorphism invariance.

Clearly I cannot speak for Dyson, but my suggestion that the axioms of locally covariant AQFT (as in the article you now quote) are the fully satisfactory answer to the request for diffeomorphism-invariant quantum field theory on curved spacetime is well supported and widely accepted.

Of course this describes QFT on general but classical gravity backgrounds. This includes perturbative quantum gravity but likely not non-perturbative quantum gravity. The latter remains famously an open issue.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2023

added more semi-publication data to this item:

• Hans-Jürgen Borchers, On Revolutionizing of Quantum Field Theory with Tomita’s Modular Theory, ESI Preprint 773 (1999) [pdf]

diff, v37, current