Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016
    • (edited Apr 1st 2016)

we had created limit, reflected limit, preserved limit, but not lifted limit. I have now created a stub for the last one, for completeness.

Would be good to harmonize and cross-relate these four entries more…

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

There’s at least a typo in lifted limit (two occurrences of 𝒟\mathcal{D}), but more to the point, I don’t quite follow what this entry wants to say. Do you have a source?

There is the concept of “initial lift” or “final lift” which is used in topological concrete category.

Finally, can I ask you again why page titles are bold-faced among related concepts? Is it the result of rapid copy-and-paste?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 1st 2016)

a typo

Fixed, thanks.

a source?

I won’t dig through Borceux or the like now to check if the terminology appears there, but that it’s being commonly used is easily confirmed with a little help from Google. For what it’s worth, Wikipedia has is here.

Once on the CatTheory mailing list Aleks Kissinger suggested a concise way to state all the lifting/creating/reflecting/preserving business in a form that the nnLab should eventually provide, here.

why page titles are bold-faced among related concepts?

When you switch through the following example pages, does it become clear?

• CommentRowNumber4.

The notion is clear to me now; thanks. I inserted a link to the comment made by Aleks Kissinger.

does it become clear?

I’m not sure, but if I’m reading you correctly, then it is a case of rapid copy-and-paste. It seems to me we discussed this once before, and if I recall correctly you had said those bold-faced entries don’t belong and one should feel free to erase them. Is that true? If it isn’t true, I’d like to know why they should be there.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Curiously, the bold-face comes from having the time to edit after the copy-and-paste, namely to turn the link into an unlinked bold-face. But if the point doesn’t become clear, please feel invitedto erase them.

• CommentRowNumber6.

(I’m not trying to be difficult, honest. I just don’t understand what the point could be, saying that a concept is related to itself.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Returning to the mathematical point, Aleks’ definitions don’t seem correct to me. His version of “creates”, for instance, doesn’t seem to match the standard one which also involves a quantification over diagrams in the domain. Same with “lifts”, so that in particular I think the version now at lifted limit is wrong. One published reference, if we want one, is arXiv:1104.2111 (Def. 3.7).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Maybe it’s too late here, but I don’t get #7. Both Aleks and the little sentence that I put into the entry speak about all diagrams at once… while it’s the reference you point to that considers the case where one kind of diagram is fixed! In either case, this seems a trivial matter of choice of wording to me.

• CommentRowNumber9.

No, the point is that to say that F:CDF:C\to D lifts limits of shape JJ, say, is to say that for every functor G:JCG:J\to C and every limiting cone over FGF\circ G, there is a limiting cone over GG that maps onto it. The definition as it is phrased now only says that for every functor G:JDG':J\to D and limiting cone over GG', there is a functor G:JCG:J\to C with G=FGG' = F\circ G and a limiting cone over GG that maps onto it. It’s not enough for some such GG to exist; it must be the case for all such GG.

1. This reference contains a detailed discussion of the relationship of the different notions mentioned above.

Alexander Kurz

diff, v6, current

2. Title corrected.

Alexander Kurz

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2021

The current definition of a lifted limit is not invariant under isomorphisms.

Specifically, a limiting cone for F∘J in D can be the image of a limiting cone for J in C, but a cone isomorphic to F∘J need not be, since its apex need not be in the image of F.

Should the definition be adjusted to say that any limiting cone for F∘J is isomorphic to the image of a limiting cone for J in C?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2021

I think it would be okay to include both options as variants. The strict version is often reasonable in practice, when the functor is generally an isofibration.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2021

Added a remark about isomorphisms. Added references.

diff, v7, current