Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2016
    • (edited Apr 8th 2016)

I added to cylinder object a pointer to a reference that goes through the trouble of spelling out the precise proof that for XX a CW-complex, then the standard cyclinder X×IX \times I is again a cell complex (and the inclusion XXX×IX \sqcup X \to X\times I a relative cell complex).

What would be a text that features a graphics which illustrates the simple idea of the proof, visualizing the induction step where we have the cylinder over X nX_n, then the cells of X n+1X_{n+1} glued in at top and bottom, then the further (n+1)(n+1)-cells glued into all the resulting hollow cylinders? (I’d like to grab such graphics to put it in the entry, too lazy to do it myself. )

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2021

There is some bicategorical generalization and weakening of a cylinder object, under the same name, which does not factorize identity 1-cell but arbitrary 1-cell and have some other weaker properties in more general context.

• M.E. Descotte E.J., Dubuc M. Szyld, A localization of bicategories via homotopies, Theory and appl. of categories 35:23, abs, arxiv/1805.05248

The left homotopies defined using these cylinders do not compose, but one can consider formal finite sequences of left homotopies to define certain localizations.

I could write few details about it, but I am not sure if this belongs to this entry, despite the name being the same. Should it be here or having a separate entry ?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’d probably be inclined towards a separate entry, like bicategorical cylinder object perhaps.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Mar 9th 2021)

formal finite sequences of left homotopies to define certain localizations

I mean considering equivalence classes of sequences.

OK, I will (gradually) write a separate entry and link from cylinder object.

My feeling is that this notion is better thought of as relative to 1-cell. The classical case is an example of rather very special kind.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2021
    • (edited Mar 17th 2021)

I did not write the entry yet but I reviewed the paper where the construction appears (without going into the details about the cylinder object itself). The review is in a draft form (very soon to be submitted), so corrections, improvements or suggestions are very welcome.

MR4112764 (zoranskoda)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2021

The review has been improved,

MR4112764 (zoranskoda)

and a variant of it electronically submitted (changes can still be made for few days). Quite an interesting construction.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v16, current