Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016

gave core of a ring some minimum content

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I added the word “commutative”, and added a link to the Bousfield-Kan paper.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, thanks for catching that.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I added a remark about regular images.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! I hadn’t realized that relation.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It makes me wonder, what are the regular monos in general in CRingCRing?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016

I have added a remark here on the dual interpretation. (my battery is dying right now, possibly there are typos left):

We may think of the opposite category CRing opCRing^{op} as that of affine arithmetic schemes. Here for RCRingR \in CRing we write Spec(R)Spec(R) for the same object, but regarded in CRing opCRing^{op}.

So the initial object \mathbb{Z} in CRing becomes the terminal object Spec(Z) in CRing opCRing^{op}, and so for every RR there is a unique morphism

Spec(R)Spec(Z) Spec(R) \longrightarrow Spec(Z)

in CRing opCRing^{op}, exhibiting every affine arithmetic scheme Spec(R)Spec(R) as equipped with a map to the base scheme Spec(Z).

Since the coproduct in CRing is the tensor product of rings (prop.), this is the dually the Cartesian product in CRing opCRing^{op} and hence

Spec(RR)Spec(R)×Spec(R) Spec(R \otimes R) \simeq Spec(R) \times Spec(R)

exhibits RRR \otimes R as the ring of functions on Spec(R)×Spec(R)Spec(R) \times Spec(R).

Hence the terminal morphism Spec(R)Spec()Spec(R) \to Spec(\mathbb{Z}) induced the corresponding Cech groupoid internal to CRing opCRing^{op}

Spec(R)×Spec(R)×Spec(R) Spec(R)×Spec(R) s t Spec(R). \array{ Spec(R) \times Spec(R) \times Spec(R) \\ \downarrow \\ Spec(R) \times Spec(R) \\ {}^{\mathllap{s}}\downarrow \uparrow \downarrow^{\mathrlap{t}} \\ Spec(R) } \,.

This exhibits RRR \otimes R (the ring of functions on the scheme of morphisms of the Cech groupoid) as a commutative Hopf algebroid over RR.

Moreover, the arithmetic scheme of isomorphism classes of this groupoid is the coequalizer of the source and target morphisms

Spec(R)×Spec(R)AAstSpec(R)coeqSpec(cR), Spec(R) \times Spec(R) \underoverset {\underset{s}{\longrightarrow}} {\overset{t}{\longrightarrow}} {\phantom{AA}} Spec(R) \overset{coeq}{\longrightarrow} Spec(c R) \,,

also called the coimage of Spec(R)Spec()Spec(R) \to Spec(\mathbb{Z}). Since limits in the opposite category CRing opCRing^{op} are equivaletly colimits in CRingCRing, this means that the ring of functions on the scheme of isomorphism classes of the Cech groupoid is precisely the core cRc R or RR according to def. \ref{CoreOfARing}.

This is morally the reason why for EE a homotopy commutative ring spectrum then the core cπ 0(E)c \pi_0(E) of its underlying ordinary ring in degree 0 controls what the EE-Adams spectral sequence converges to (Bousfield 79, theorems 6.5, 6.6, see here), because the EE-Adams spectral sequence computes E-nilpotent completion which is essentially the analog in higher alegbra of the above story: namely the coimage ((infinity,1)-image) of Spec(E)Spec(E) \to Spec(S) (see here).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2016
    • (edited Jul 18th 2016)

Is there established terminology for the generalization of the concept to commutative Hopf algebroids?

I.e. for

AAAη Rη LΓ A \underoverset {\underset{\eta_R}{\longrightarrow}} {\overset{\eta_L}{\longrightarrow}} {\phantom{AA}} \Gamma

the left and right unit maps of a commutative Hopf algebroid Γ\Gamma over AA, is there established terminology for their equalizer?

(So that the core of a ring RR would be the special case for the commutative Hopf algebroid RRR \otimes R over RR…)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2021

Linked the remark on the geometric interpretation to duality between algebra and geometry.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 17th 2021)

I have slightly reworked the Definition-section for readability:

Gave the definition as a subset, stated up-front, then followed by a remark which expands on the category-theoretic formulation as an equalizer and regular image.

Also added the statement that a commutative ring is solid iff its multiplication is an isomorphism.

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Added these references:

The concept re-appears under the name “T-rings” in

• R. A. Bowshell and P. Schultz, Unital rings whose additive endomorphisms commute, Mathematische Annalen volume 228, pages 197–214 (1977) (doi10.1007/BF01420290)

and under the name “\mathbb{Z}-epimorphs” in:

• Warren Dicks, W. Stephenson, Epimorphs and Dominions of Dedekind Domains, Journal of the London Mathematical Society, Volume s2-29, Issue 2, April 1984, Pages 224–228 (doi:10.1112/jlms/s2-29.2.224)

Generalization to monoids in monoidal categories:

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 17th 2021)

For what it’s worth, I have made more explicit (here) why the rationals are solid, but no other char=0 field is.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

For what it’s worth, I have spelled out a proof (here) that ring is solid iff its multiplication is an isomorphism.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2021

Added “idea” of the core of a ring.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez

Added an “idea” of the core.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorDELETED_USER_2018
    • (edited Apr 11th 2023)

[deleted]

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2021

cross-linked the remark on \mathbb{R} not being solid (here) with real homotopy theory

diff, v17, current