Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010
    I'm not sure if any of you have seen this, but I figured you might find it interesting.

A few days ago, Grothendieck told (I don't know if it was in person or if it was as formal cease and desist) Yves Laszlo to take down the SGA project.

http://www.math.polytechnique.fr/~laszlo/sga4.html

Anyone have any details?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthordomenico_fiorenza
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2010
    • (edited Feb 8th 2010)
    I wasn't aware of this. :-(

edit: removed the rest of this post. it was a sudden upset reaction to the SGA project shut down.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010

How did you find this out, Harry?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Feb 9th 2010)
    I went to download SGA 4 and it was gone. That is the former download page.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Feb 9th 2010)

Try searching for the page on G0ogle and go to the cached copy.

I've sent out a message on the category theory mailing list asking for info about this.

Edit: I see Harry's been asking elsewhere, and said there he had the files, so I'll leave the above advice for interested others.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Clear case of an attempt to raise demand by shortening supply.

;-)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    I'm just curious about why Grothendieck would come out of hiding just to do something (apparently) mean-spirited like that.
    • CommentRowNumber8.

Well one can only speculate. I have a feeling that even the people in the know (Laszlo and collaborators) won't be much more forthcoming, and I'm not going to speculate, despite the natural temptation.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

I suspect he may feel dissatisfied with the results, proofs, etc. in the available copy, as there are some glitches and errors. He may also have have turned against mathematics as he felt very disillusioned with mathematicians!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • (edited Feb 9th 2010)
    I wonder if he'd come out of hiding if somebody proved the standard conjectures and "realized the dream of motives".
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Feb 9th 2010)

As one can see by following the Google cache, Laszlo has not taken down the files, only the links to them. But I have my own copy now. (Supply and demand, as Urs said!)

I don't suppose that anybody is competent to speculate clearly about what motivates Grothendieck today. I certainly am not!

Thanks for the notice, Harry.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    Some information:

"Tyler Lawson 3 hours ago

This is in the interest of presenting some information about the situation.

Grothendieck has issued a "Declaration d’intention de non-publication" - Illusie has received a letter from him. In it (based on my poor French translation ability) he states that essentially all materials that have been published in his absence have been done without his permission. He asks that none of his work should be reproduced in whole or in part, and even further that libraries containing such pirated copies of his work remove them.

This obviously has ramifications for existing works far beyond SGA4, along with the imminent publication of "Recoltes et Semailles", the Mumford-Grothendieck correspondence in Mumford's collected works, and "Pursuing Stacks".

Apparently this is common knowledge in the French mathematical community already."
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorScottMorrison
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

I like Toby's post at http://sbseminar.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/grothendiecks-letter/ a lot!

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010

Thanks, Zoran.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

On a related note to Zoran's #14, I myself like comment #85 at http://sbseminar.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/grothendiecks-letter/.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010

Note also Ronnie's intervention there. He is making the point that AG gave permission for various things to be distributed, so for instance PS seems to cause no problem. I have not the letter in front of me but I wonder if it is not more of a warning to people who have produced pirated (as he sees) version of stuff that is still in copyright for commercial reasons. Also for people who have translated material without permission. Both of those are less dire than some of the interpretations. The question of SGAs is more delicate as AG holds the copyright. It should be said that most of the ideas in say SGA4 are available in digested form in later books (e.g. all the stuff on toposes).