Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017

The pages apartness relation and antisubalgebra disagree about the definition of an antiideal: do we assume ¬(0A)\neg(0\in A) or pA,p#0\forall p\in A, p\# 0? Presumably there is a similar question for antisubgroups, etc. In particular, the general universal-algebraic definition at antisubalgebra would give ¬(0A)\neg (0\in A) as the definition (since 00 is a constant and \bot is a nullary disjunction), contradicting the explicit definition of antiideal later on the same page.

Does this have something to do with whether #\#-openness is assumed explicitly or not? The page apartness relation claims that, at least for antiideals, openness is automatic as long as the ring operations are strongly extensional. But antisubalgebra assumes openness explicitly, in addition to strong extensionality of the algebraic operations.

Finally, do we ever really need the apartness to be tight?

• CommentRowNumber2.

Okay, it’s easy to prove that if AA is #\#-open, then anything not in it is apart from everything in it, i.e. its logical complement and #\#-complement agree. Thus, assuming #\#-openness ensures that ¬(0A)\neg(0\in A) implies the stronger pA,p#0\forall p\in A, p\#0 and similarly for all constants. Conversely, for theories containing a group operation with identity constant ee (such as groups and rings), if we assume pA,p#e\forall p\in A, p\#e, then AA is necessarily #\#-open, since if xAx\in A then x=(xy 1)yx = (x y^{-1})y, hence yAy\in A or xy 1Ax y^{-1}\in A, and in the latter case xy 1#ex y^{-1} \# e and so x#yx \# y. So in the general case, we need to assume #\#-openness explicitly, but in some familiar cases we can get away without it by strengthening the nullary anti-closure condition.

• CommentRowNumber3.

I edited the two pages to clarify this point. However I have another question: antisubalgebra claims that AA can be recovered as the \ne-complement of its complementary subalgebra, but I don’t see why.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2017

Yes, #2 is correct. If you read things like Richman et al's book, they make their antisubalgebras ##-open in this way, by saying p#0p # 0 instead of ¬(p#0)\neg(p # 0). But in the general case, ##-openness is a separate condition.

Finally, do we ever really need the apartness to be tight?

You need it to be tight in order to say things like ‘it’s easy to prove that if AA is #\#-open, then anything not in it is apart from everything in it, i.e. its logical complement and #\#-complement agree’ (comment #2). That AA is open only proves half of that; that ## is tight proves the other half.

More generally, if I have an algebra equipped with an apartness relation ## relative to which the operations are all strongly extensional, then I'm really really tempted to replace it with a quotient algebra on which ## becomes tight.

@#3: You're right, that statement is wrong. In a theory where every arity is at least 11 (to keep it simple), if PP is any proposition, then {pX|P}\{p \in X \;|\; P\} is an antisubalgebra; its complementary subalgebra is {pX|¬P}\{p \in X \;|\; \neg{P}\}; and the \neq-complement of this is {pX|¬¬P}\{p \in X\;|\; \neg\neg{P}\}.

• CommentRowNumber5.

You need it to be tight in order to say things like ‘it’s easy to prove that if AA is #\#-open, then anything not in it is apart from everything in it, i.e. its logical complement and #\#-complement agree’ (comment #2). That AA is open only proves half of that; that ## is tight proves the other half.

Hmm. If AA is #\#-open and xAx\notin A and yAy\in A, then #\#-openness applied to yy gives xAx#yx\in A \vee x\#y, hence x#yx\#y since xAx\notin A. In the other direction, if AA is #\#-open and yA,x#y\forall y\in A, x\#y, then in particular yA,¬(x=y)\forall y\in A, \neg(x=y) by irreflexivity of #\#, hence xAx\notin A. Where did I use tightness?

• CommentRowNumber6.

if I have an algebra equipped with an apartness relation ## relative to which the operations are all strongly extensional, then I'm really really tempted to replace it with a quotient algebra on which ## becomes tight.

Topologically, I guess this means passing to the T 0T_0 quotient. Which is of course not unreasonable (in particular, it’s part of sobrification), but as part of a general theory there’s often no need to assume T 0T_0.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Hmm, I guess you need the apartness to be tight in order for the complement of the antikernel to be the kernel. I’m not sure whether anyone thinks about topological algebra for non-T 0T_0 spaces or what the right notion of “kernel” would be in such a case, but in any case that makes tightness seem more reasonable to me.

Would it work, impredicatively, to define the anti-image of a morphism as the antisubalgebra generated by the complement or \ne-complement of the image? In general, how is a subalgebra related to the antisubalgebra generated by its complement?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2017

Here’s an interesting fact I just noticed: for an inequality group, the symmetry and comparison axioms are automatic. That is, if GG has an irreflexive relation #\# and a group structure that is strongly extensional with respect to #\#, then #\# is automatically an apartness relation.

To prove comparison, if g#hg\#h and kGk\in G, then by strong extensionality of multiplication, either g#gg\#g (impossible) or e#hg 1e \# h g^{-1}. Then by the same argument, either e#hk 1e \# h k^{-1} or e#kg 1e \# k g^{-1}, and in the former case k#hk \# h while in the latter case g#kg \# k.

To prove symmetry, if g#hg\#h, then e#hg 1e \# h g^{-1} as above, hence either h#hh\#h (impossible) or h 1#g 1h^{-1} \# g^{-1}; and in the latter case, h#gh \# g by strong extensionality of inversion.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2017

I just got a copy of the Mines-Richman-Ruitenberg book A Course in Constructive Algebra, and was surprised to find no antisubalgebras in it at all! I haven’t read it page by page, but if they’re there at all then they’re well-hidden. The closest thing I was able to find was a remark in passing that “In rings with a positive notion of inequality… it is natural to define an ideal PP to be prime if whenever a,bPa,b\notin P then abPab \notin P” (where aAa\notin A means aba\neq b for all bPb\in P, i.e. aa is in the inequality complement of AA); but the definition of “prime ideal” that they actually use is “if abPa b\in P then aPa\in P or bPb\in P.

So I updated the page antisubalgebra and added a reference to Troelstra + van Dalen, who do discuss antisubalgebras to a certain extent at least.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2018

Anti-generated anti-subalgebras, such as principal anti-ideals.

diff, v12, current