Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorBen_Sprott
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2017
    • (edited Mar 6th 2017)

Hi,

Ahman, Chapman and Uustalu have given some prescriptions as to when a container is a comonad and when it is a monad.

The prototypical data structure that is a monad is List, as described here.

In their paper on Containers and comonads, Ahman et alias give the example of Trees as a comonad, where the comultipication is trees of trees. Each node gets labelled with the sub-tree that extends from that node.

The next step in this reasearch is to find the container that is a Frobenius Monad. One could also find the container that is a bimonad, but I am most interested in the Frobenius monad.

I am a physicist and my intuitions come from physics. I am fairly convinced that spacetimes can be seen as containers.

I have written a paper that gives a model of experiments and how theories relate to experiments. I give an example of how experiments can be modeled with the List monad. It needs to be improved to include the idea from General relativity that there is no universal background clock. I believe I need Frobenius monads for that.

Panangaden and Martin showed that spacetimes are equivalent to interval domains.

My conjecture is that something very much like a domain of intervals is a Frobenius container. I was toying around with the idea and thought about a domain where each node contained a total order. Then the multiplication could take a domain of total orders of total orders to a domain of total orders by just concatenating.

I am interested in any example of a Frobenius container, so if you can think of one, please post it.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2017
    • (edited Mar 5th 2017)

I haven’t considered this question yet, but let me point out that we do have an article on containers at the nLab.

Also let me point out that if you set the format to Markdown+Itex, then you can easily link to your articles and dropbox. For example, see the source of this comment for creating this (irrelevant) link.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017

Incidentally, I just added to Frobenius monad a proof that every such comes from an ambidextrous adjunction.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorBen_Sprott
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017
    • (edited Mar 9th 2017)

Updated the links. Thank you Todd!!

I would like to point out that if you like the work I am doing and would like to join me, I am badly in need of collaborators. I would like to publish my current paper and the next one in a major journal if possible.