Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017
    • (edited Mar 8th 2017)

There’s a table on several nlab articles, for example at the bottom of accessible categories that relates “rich categories” with “rich preorders/posets”.

Most of it makes sense to me (Topos - Locale, Powerset - Presheaf), but I don’t understand the “accessible” column. Specifically, the definition of accessible categories are categories as having directed colimits and a generating set of compact objects, is almost word for word the definition of algebraic domain used in for example Abramsky and Jung’s notes on domain theory, which is that it is a poset with directed suprema and a basis of compact objects.

It seems to me like these are the appropriate analogous concepts, for example the Ind-completion of a small category is the analogue of the Ideal completion of a poset.

So why is it that in the table posets are the analogue of accessible categories? I’m guessing there is a different analogy than I am thinking about?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It has to do with cardinality. A category with directed colimits and a generating set of compact objects is a finitely accessible (or ω\omega-accessible) category. These are the ones that correspond to domains. A general accessible category is κ\kappa-accessible for some cardinal κ\kappa, and has κ\kappa-directed colimits and a generating set of κ\kappa-compact objects. Any (small) poset satisfies this property when κ\kappa is the cardinality of the poset.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew

Oh I see, I didn’t parse the “exists K” in the definition of accessible category correctly. I rephrased the definition slightly on the accessible category page to hopefully make that clearer.

Thanks!