Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2017
    • (edited Mar 14th 2017)

I was looking around a little for natural examples of Hopf ring spectra discussed in the literature. In Strickland-Turner 97 is discussed Hopf (semi-)(co-)ring structure on the extended power spectrum of the sphere spectrum, which they write DS 0D S^0.

Now the extended power spectrum of any spectrum XX, that’s the direct sum over nn of the homotopy quotients of the nn-fold smash powers of XX by the canonical symmetric group Σ(n)\Sigma(n) action

DX=n(X n/Σ(n)). D X = \underset{n}{\vee} \left( X^{\wedge^n}/\Sigma(n) \right) \,.

I suppose this may be thought of as the spectral analog of the symmetric algebra construction where for VV a kk-vector space we form Sym k(V)Sym_k(V). (If kk is of char 0 then we may form this from the tensor algebra by quotienting out the symmetric group action.) The analog of the ground field kk is now the sphere spectrum.

This should be the intuitive explanation of why there may be Hopf-like structure on these extended power spectra: They are like rings of functions on affine lines, and hence the additive group structure of the affine line induces a coproduct on its ring of functions. If I understand well, this matches with what Strickland-Turner have, where the coproduct Δ\Delta (later δ\delta) is induced from the diagonal XXXX \to X \vee X (towards the bottom of p. 2).

Interestingly now, while the ordinary symmetric algebra Sym k(k)Sym_k(k) of the ground ring itself is trivial, the extended power spectrum of the sphere spectrum itself is nontrivial. This is because 𝕊 n𝕊\mathbb{S}^{\wedge^n} \simeq \mathbb{S} but hence the homotopy quotient by Σ n\Sigma_n contributes a copy of Σ + BΣ(n)\Sigma^\infty_+ B \Sigma(n) at each stage.

That makes me want to say that the DS 0D S^0 in Strickland-Turner is usefully thought of as the “polynomial ring” Sym 𝕊𝕊Sym_{\mathbb{S}} \mathbb{S} being like functions on the “absolute spectral affine line”. Or something like this. Does this make sense?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017
    • (edited Mar 18th 2017)

Yes, DS 0DS^0 is the free E E_\infty-algebra on one generator (Lurie writes this as S{t}S\{t\}, where SS denotes the sphere spectrum), aka the symmetric algebra Sym S(S)Sym_{S}(S), and it is indeed the ring of functions on the absolute spectral affine line (which I think Lurie writes as 𝔸 sm 1\mathbb{A}^1_{sm}). It should probably be distinguished from the polynomial ring S[t]=Σ + (N)S[t] = \Sigma^\infty_+(\mathbf{N}) though (which is the ring of functions on the “flat affine line”, which I think Lurie writes as 𝔸 1\mathbb{A}^1; this guy base changes over Spec(H)Spec(H\mathbb{Z}) to the usual affine line).

More generally one can take X=Spec(Sym S(M))X = Spec(Sym_S(M)) for any connective SS-module MM. Even when MM is non-connective there is a non-schematic spectral stack associated to MM, which is a spectral Artin stack when MM is perfect. Its infinitesimal theory is as “simple” as (the tor-amplitude of) MM is (for example if MM is of tor-amplitude [0,0][0,0], aka locally free (without shifts) then XX is just a vector bundle).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017
    • (edited Mar 19th 2017)

the absolute spectral affine line (which I think Lurie writes as 𝔸 sm 1\mathbb{A}^1_{sm}).

Where?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017

It looks like Lurie only discusses the projective versions so far (5.4 and 19.2.6 in SAG). Presumably discussion of the affine versions will also be added at some point, but who knows. Have you seen his new paper Elliptic Cohomology I, though? That might have what you’re looking for, see especially Example 3.5.4.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017

Okay, thanks.