Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017
    • (edited Mar 17th 2017)

gave the statement an entry with a pointer to a proof: Hausdorff implies sober, then added pointer to this at sober space where it was claimed without proof or citation, and at Hausdorff space where it had previously not been mentioned yet.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Why do you need the axiom of choice?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sorry, excluded middle.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

When did we start having pages named after theorems? Most of our pages are mathematical nouns, and theorems about those objects are just placed on the appropriate page.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I’m “guilty” of doing that too (e.g., compact Hausdorff rings are profinite), basically because I couldn’t or didn’t think of a graceful way of including such a specialized result on a page. However, I think “Hausdorff implies sober” could easily be incorporated at say sober space.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I don’t know exactly when I started doing this, but I have been doing it earlier for cases like derivations of smooth functions are vector fields

It’s useful for collecting results. The statements that I just gave their own pages were all mentioned in several pages, each time without any indication of why they are true. Now all these pages link to the statement page, which can collect all the relevant information.

1. I quite like the idea; keeps things modular and easy to navigate.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017

I suppose I have no disagreement with this idea. However, if we’re going to do this a lot, we should change the HowTo entry that says “Page titles should be singular nouns”.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorNikolajK
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017

When did we start having pages named after theorems?

Ever since Curry-Howard ;P

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2017

I have added this to HowTo#naming, although I think that some standardization is still in order.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

Added the proof

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorTim Campion
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2018

Added an example from wikipedia showing that sober + T1 does not imply Hausdorff.

diff, v9, current